Issue installing Dell Vista SP1 --> WD Green HDD in AHCI

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I'm working on replacing a hard drive for a user of mine. The old hard drive PCB failed so I have replaced the hard drive with a 1TB WD Green drive.

The system in question is an Optiplex 755. I'm using the Dell Vista Business SP1 x86 OEM installation media to install the OS. I set the board to AHCI mode. The OS installation goes fine and I'm able to manually update to SP2 and the latest chipset INF's and AHCI drivers, but after that it all goes haywire.

Basically no Windows Updates are able to install. If you run Windows Update to scan for updates, it just goes back to the screen to scan for updates without displaying an error, as if I never pressed the button. If I try to manually install updates, like IE8, it errors out saying it cannot install. I tried the Microsoft Windows Update fix-it utility, but when it attempts to install Powershell, it fails. I verified that the partition is aligned. I've reinstalled the OS 3 times, and even tried using a non dell Vista disc, the same problems persist.

Any idea's?

*edit* Update - This may be related to AHCI mode. I switched back to ATA emulation and reinstalled, the system is now able to check for updates. Read something online saying that AHCI on these Dells can cause problems with some hard drives. I'm not sure how though.

*edit* Update 2 - Everything is working fine in ATA mode. This is an advanced format drive. There must be a compatibility issue with the older Intel chipsets AHCI and advanced format drives.

Last edited:
Back