ISP Subscribers Not Liable For Pirating Family Members

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news! You are not liable for family members that use your computer to pirate movies and music. The bad news...this court ruling only applies in Germany.

Germany’s Supreme Court has just handed down a landmark ruling on the liability of Internet subscribers in copyright disputes. Overturning an earlier decision by a lower court the Federal Court of Justice said that an account holder could not be held liable for piracy carried out by an adult family member if he had no reason to believe any was being carried out.

Nobody cares if you download pirated movies/music anyways lol. The only people they care about are the ones that have the servers.

Nobody cares if you download pirated movies/music anyways lol. The only people they care about are the ones that have the servers.

Not true -- at all. There's been a LOT of cases of rediculous sums of money being levied against regular-joes or janes in an attempt to 'scare' and 'fear monger' other regular joes and janes to stop pirating. There's been a few cases were women/men and even children were sued for 100k+ per song shared via torrenting or limewire or what-not. Generally 'easy to catch you' style methods.

I have heard of a few cases where some company wanted or did sue a individual. But come on there are hundreds of millions maybe more than a billion people that have and continue to download pirated software/movies/music etc. Don't piss down my back and say it's raining folks. You try to take just a few people that have been charged and make it out as if it's common practice. You to me are just like the propaganda tv blowing it out of proportion. So I ask you how long you been living under a rock ?

What rock have you been hiding under?

In Canada no one cares about downloading, but the uploading will get you in trouble.
At least until the corporations have their way with affronts to democracy like the trans pacific partnership.

What rock have you been hiding under?

Technically he's right. The efforts of the MPAA and ilk have been directed at people uploading not downloading. By torrenting you are also uploading/sharing and you just became a distributor, even if it's just one byte.

I've never seen anyone charged for downloading by filelocker or that thing we don't talk about.

Technically he's right. The efforts of the MPAA and ilk have been directed at people uploading not downloading. By torrenting you are also uploading/sharing and you just became a distributor, even if it's just one byte.

I've never seen anyone charged for downloading by filelocker or that thing we don't talk about.

Don't they usually just try to extort these people with pay or get sued settlements?

If companies are responsible for their security breaches why aren't content owners held liable for their stuff being pirated?

If your security is flawed then you should be held responsible to some degree.

Back