ISP Recommendations

zeroibis

n00b
We are planning to drop our 3x3 bonded T1 for an Ethernet pipe. (yea T1s wtf)

So far I have gotten quotes from EarthLink and MegaPath. Both are in the same price range for a 3x3 so it is more of a question of who to go with.

Does anyone have any opinions of EarthLink vs MegaPath? I am still waiting to hear back from Windstream (the provider that is currently charging us $900 for a fucking 3x3 bonded T1 -bangs head on desk-)

Or is there other providers I should be looking at? I am in ATL btw. The line is only for SIP traffic as we use asymmetrical business class lines from Comcast (coaxial) and AT&T (fiber) for everything else. (our phone system is considered priority for mission critical reliability)

Thank You for the help!

Why not use your current connections and failover? If both dies why not use LTE as backup?

Maybe I should restate.

We are planning on dropping our T1s (our current connection) in favor of having an Ethernet connection to save money. Ethernet is generally the same level of quality for a much lower price.

I am asking if anyone has experience with Ethernet ISPs such as EarthLink or MegaPath or if there is any Ethernet IPSs that anyone can recommend to try.

The Comcast and AT&T lines are like what you would have at home except way more expensive, a lot slower but with no bandwidth cap.

Yea in the 3rd world I have setup sip systems strung out across 10 DSL modems and other lines to keep a phone system going but in that case I was literally the voip operator myself so I could do whatever I wanted and whatever it took to get it to work, however in the USA they are not going to like this idea.

Also when your an operator if those 10 dsl lines crap out for an hour yea you lost an hour in money but it is not like the calls do not get routed to a different operator (for inbound traffic). However, I am dealing with outbound calls in the medical industry these are very critical time sensitive calls.

Would you trust the reliability of your in home Comcast and AT&T internet with your life, I sure as hell would not. However, this is not to say that quality of line can not be useful as a backup for a much more expensive one. For the case of LTE that works fine for downstream backup but it does not have enough upload to run a phone system off.

I run TWC metroethernet MPLS at 18 locations with a 50/50 DIA

can't complain, i enjoy the <1ms pings site-to-site, service has been pretty good... had a site go down last week, break in the fiber, they had it repaired by lunch

our contract just ended, and i'm in talks with earthlink to see what they can do for us, hoping the competition can get me double the speed everywhere for the same price

I understand you think your phone system is mission critical, but if that's the case you need to have it fail-over across any of the internet connections. I'm thinking your phone isn't actually as important as you claim it to be, that said...

We pay $30k+ for internet, and we don't trust any one line for anything. I don't care what someone tells you. That connection will drop one day - even diverse entrance fiber rings with dual CPE gear. You need multiple providers, and multiple paths. You also need to make sure these providers never take the same route as each other or lease the same DWDM waves from a backhaul carrier.

I would pick some other ISP for this, and then make the phone system work over any of your 3 providers.

Back