ISP problems

e2g

Limp Gawd
So, I have been having numerous problems lately with our ISP and my network setup and so, I would like to brush up on some things and ask for help.

First of all, we have Co*x and right now, the package is "up to" 9Megs with powerboost. I use speed testing sites and saw someone had mentioned that this one was really accurate: http://netspeed.stanford.edu/

These speed tests show really high numbers that I never achieve..or get no where near close. My results were

Connected to: netspeed.stanford.edu -- Using IPv4 address
Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 1.25Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 4.39Mb/s
The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 10 Mbps Ethernet subnet
Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link
[S2C]: Packet queuing detected

I have experienced a lot of resets to my router as well as my modem. I noticed at times when I am doing heavy downloading, or when I stream a keynote from apple's website, I have to reset my router as it loses connection. I have heard that a lot of people steal cable (tv) from my area but I don't know if that is true or not. average speeds for me is 100-200kb/s (300 at best). When I plug my computer directly into the modem/ or when I am the only one doing something on our network, it can go as high as 1Mb/s. I would rather be getting that as my average rather than that as a max.

I guess what I am trying to get at is, how do I compare with others around my area (zip=72701)? I am on the promotion so instead of paying the full $40 price, i am paying half that but it seems as if I am paying for a less slower package for the speeds I am getting.

I really don't want to get DSL as it is much more expensive since no phoneline but we are not getting anything close to what we are paying for seems like.

Any help? ideas? poor cable lines? they are just ripping me off? what is it?

Thanks.

Most ISP's give speed testing sites priority and also cache the data so it appears your Internet is SUPER DUPPER fast when really it isnt.

remove your router and use just the modem to see if it still happens.

hit sites like ATI.com and download the latest video drivers or NVIDIA

yeah, i get speeds of up to 1 Mb/s. I get it with or without the router (when no one else is doing anything on the router). It just seems as if I should be getting some much higher for their top package? no?

they will say that the speed is not garunteed outside their network, that is the crappy part of ISP's, even though you KNOW you can get faster speeds, or your friend down the road on DSL does, ISP always fall back to that, they wil do all their testing for speed to sites on their network or sites they have priority to, then when you go to really use your connection it isnt as fast as what you pay for, or should be getting.

Dont get confused by the units. The stanford test gives you the numbers in MB/s.

4.39 (Mb / s) = 561.92 kB / s

Your package from Cox is 9MB which is 9 (Mb / s) = 1152 kB / s

Dont get confused by the units. The stanford test gives you the numbers in MB/s.

wow thank you very much...the sanford gives me it in Mb/s. The difference between a lil b and a big B was big. This whole time, I was thinking we should be getting up to 9 MB per second. thanks again.

Back