ISP IP Address Question

spyder_flex97

[H]ard|Gawd
How come when I connect my cable modem to my router i get a fixed ip which doesnt change and when I connect my cable modem to my pc directly i get another ip address that doesnt change either?
I discovered this because I wanted my ip changed since my brother got me banned from a certain website using the router ip address and the only way i can login is by directly connecting to my pc which gives me another ip address thats not banned...
do isps give each device with a mac address a fixed ip??
I have opt. online and I use an airport express router

Maybe it's because of the different MAC address. Try changing your router's MAC address and see if it gets a different IP.

It all depends on the ISP. Some have static addresses and some are dynamic that change every few days. If you power cycle it might be the same for a few days. You could contact your tech support and have them issue you a new ip outside the range that is blocked.

The DHCP server has assigned the IP to the MAC address. The IP that is handed out to that MAC address wont change until the DHCP lease ends. For my ISP, the DHCP lease is about 6 months. You can get around this by spoofing a different MAC address, or do what you did and change the device that the modem is plugged into.

The DHCP server has assigned the IP to the MAC address. The IP that is handed out to that MAC address wont change until the DHCP lease ends. For my ISP, the DHCP lease is about 6 months. You can get around this by spoofing a different MAC address, or do what you did and change the device that the modem is plugged into.

how do i go about spoofing the mac address on a airport extreme and will it slow my net speeds?

Back