ISP download warning?

stealthy123

2[H]4U
I moved across country(texas to washington), and didn't pack any of my DVDs or games.

I got here had an amazing download speed and for the first time ever torrented a couple of games, both I owned. I also downloaded a movie I have on DVD.

the dickhead on the phone told me if I didn't delete my content in a week they would end my service.

First time for me, and I am renting this place and they called the owner and he is pissed off thinking I am a hacker or something.

I am hoping it's no big deal and they won't bitch. I deleted the moives and the game but it seems pretty fucked up they can threaten me and turn off my internet.

dont torrent movies they will shut your internet off as you have found out, the RIAA sends letters to every ISP these days and its super easy for them to catch you if you are just connecting to a tracker and downloading willy nilly.

Not worth it

hmmm thats weird whats your ISP?

in the 10 years or so I've downloaded Linux iso's I've never gotten a C&D letter

what you are saying doesn't really make sense. now its possible that you have a small local isp and having torrents available is causing network congestion and screwing up their service. But that really would be a small isp with limited bandwidth. Or maybe you are sharing a wifi connection. Using torrents with that would also piss a lot of people off. I doubt it would be the actual content, just making the content available for others to download....

So you thought using a torrent on someones else connection was a good idea and the owner (whose name is associated with the ISP lease) got mad. I don't blame the owner either for getting upset. He should terminate your ISP connection and make you get an connection in your name. And for future reference, as long as you take the torrent out of the swarm then there is no way anyone will know if you have the movies / games on your computer.

Usenet, live it and love it.

nah it's an all bills paid place everything is in his name and its a month to month lease, and I am leaving in a month so it wouldn't be worth it for him to cancel anything.

If I own the stuff it's still illegal to DL it?

you never actually own anything. you might be licensed to use it in a certain way. downloading alternate versions is a violation of the license agreement so technically yes. Also if you torrented the files you are sharing them at the same time, so that certainly is a violation of the license. Illegal however is a strong word. It would be a civil matter, not a legal matter.

nah it's an all bills paid place everything is in his name and its a month to month lease, and I am leaving in a month so it wouldn't be worth it for him to cancel anything.

unfortunately Yeah.,

It is if you circumvent the DRM or the like. That's why making a personal backup of an encrypted DVD that you own (e.g., movie that you bought at Best Buy), where you strip out the encryption, is technically illegal. You can thank the DMCA.

Back