Ishimura - HTPC/Steam Box

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
So with Haswell and the NCASE M1 coming out this summer and my 4850e/GT430 based HTPC getting extremely frustrating as more and more newer games gain full controller support... I've decided to start early by converting my 3570K desktop into a HTPC form factor device. :D

This sort of happened by accident as I went into a local shop asking if they would price match a Fractal Design Node 605 down to 139.99 CAD. Obviously they said no, as this was well below their cost, as I expected. However they did let me have it for 149.99 which would have been cheaper than buying online with shipping. I bought it and ran home!

First off here's some pictures of the case, which is absolutely stunning in person. I wont be taking the plastic wrap off for a while yet so keep it fresh!

The store also had Nexus fans! So hard to find and expensive online ($9/$11bux each!):
kvSyh7s.jpg

cimTdpX.jpg

The white paint is extremely glossy, just beautiful:
z5bUhXv.jpg

Stock fan with 3 channel fan controller and power button PCBs nuzzled in the corner:
Xr8xJl1.jpg

PCI card flap is secured with a screw and flips down on a hinge:
b8CoPRr.jpg

OfkKoPT.jpg

Now I wanted to talk about this bit. The fan grills also have a fan filter attached behind them. The grill is restrictive enough as it is and the filter is just redonk. I'm startign to get why some of the reviewers were hating on the cooling. Here's a shot with and without the extra filer:
vi92cnx.jpg

The 80mm nexus have a 4pin fan connector attached to the 3pin.... out of the box anyway. The fan connectors are so easy to remove, I think i'm going to sleeve them!

After getting all the nexus fans installed with the silicone fan pins, I transplanted my system from my Corsair 550D into the Node 605. Due to the size of my Noctua D14, I used the stock cooler on the 3570K until I decide on a replacement.

Immediately I booted up furmark and was very unimpressed with the noise and temperature of the GTX 680. I probably should have taken readings of the system in the 550D, oh well. I spent a few hours researching new fans as these Nexus might not cut it, then I had an idea. Ran furmark in my fiance's PC - 660ti in a well cooled Lian-Li PC-A05. (73* @ 45% fan). I swaped out my 680 for the 660 and reran my test in the Node with the same results. Perfect, ventilation is not the problem, which is great because I love the look of the Nexus and they are so damn quiet. I intended to keep the 680 for my new Haswell PC and buy a 650ti boost or 660ti for this HTPC anyway, so this was a perfect test.

Testing the 660ti (was done with lid on):
Kg4PUuw.jpg

Don't get started on the cable mess, I know. :p

So that's where I am right now, I dont have it all planned out yet but I want to try some sleeving and I will be adding a button to the front flip down panel to sync my xbox controllers with an internal wireless receiver. I'm also still debating returning the Nexus 120mm fans and getting Noctua NF-P12s, i was testing with the one form my D14 and it's got much higher airflow at a similar sound level.

Updates to follow.

Last edited:
I have a very similar case in the Lian-Li PC-C60B:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112335

I used the Cougar CF-V12HPB fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006
as my case fans. They to have a mesh filter in front of them also.

With the 3 fans with mesh filter, My system is dead quiet, and my 10 HD's are very cool (approx. 30 celsius).

The only major difference between your system and mine is I used an Antec 620 for CPU cooling (my case has a removable fan opening in the lid above the CPU that I mounted the 620 to).

If you're going to do any sleeving, I suggest visiting Lutro) Customs:
http://lutro0-customs.com/
for any parts, tools and guides. Prices are lowest I've seen on the net, Shipping is fast and cheap, and the tools and parts are top rate. So are the guides.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips! I was on the LC site earlier, his paracord looks great. After looking at my 24pin ATX connector, I think a full sleeve is out of scope. Might be too much work for a windowless box under my TV. I will probably re-sleeve all my fans though. I installed the Nocuta NF-P12 on the GPU intake side of the case and might not bother replacing the other two as the CPU seems to be getting enough air, even with the stock cooler.

Fun fact: The front panel firewire and audio cables are fully detachable! here you can see the USB/FireWire/Audio PCB with the cables off and the horribly huge USB3/2 connector cable:
VlmAo6u.jpg

I also had another idea and busted out my jigsaw. I love the look of the HDD brackets, but the one flap runs right down the middle of the side fan and diverts a lot of the air flow past the GPU intake... not anymore. Just need to get a metal file to smooth it out and some touch-up paint.

Front side:
S1hnCUv.jpg

Installed:
0oNioRc.jpg

Full flow baby!
1TZjzjb.jpg

I also saw these clips and decided to run the 8-pin EPS and left side fan cable along the top of the front of the case. My local shop had one of the 45cm BitFenix cables, but I wasn't able to find it. Maybe I'll buy some wire and the tools to make my own custom to connect right into the PSU, would be much easier than the ATX and I'll still get a nice sense of accomplishment. :D

Last edited:
Small update:

I've placed orders with Lutro0 and modDIY, I should have all the tools necessary to build my own cables. I'll probably need to place another order once I decided what method I want to use (heatshrink or heatshrinkless).

Also I had some small defects with my case, the 4pin molex power cable for the fan switch was mangled and one of the two power LEDs were bad. I shot fractal a quick note via their website and within a couple hours they send me a short form to fill out. I filled it out when I got home from work (needed serial #) and by 7PM that day my replacement parts were in the possession of FedEx and on their way. This is probably the best customer support experience I've ever had so big props to FD.

I'm going to roll the dice and contact their support and see if I can get another HDD bracket. I've got a cool idea for a raceway for the planned custom PCI-e power cables, but I ruined the first one doing the test cuts for the one I modified above. I don't care if I have to pay for it, it just hope they have a method of taking direct payment somehow. I'm hoping the honesty approach will work :)

More updates to come when I get my orders. I'm very excited to see lutro0 stiff-line in person.

I got my orders from Lutro0 and moddiy this week! Lutro0's tools are just awesome and his stiff-line sleeving is very nice. I also got the replacement fan controller, power switch PCB and luckily another HDD bracket from Fractal Design. They were cool about getting me another one when I had explained what had happened to it.... :D

I sleeved my first fan and am fairly happy with the results. The problem with these nexus fans is that the wires solder into the hub on the other side of the fan from the cable raceway so I can't get the heatshrink right into the hub.

YWGkWu8.jpg

Also, as you can see the colour of the stock wires are bleeding through the sleeve. Initially I was going to use paracord, but decided on sleeving to prevent dust from turning it grey over time. Now I'm not so sure, but I've got some mode sleeving coming from another vendor and if if the 6mm fits on the fan raceway, but is a big too big for the 3x24AWG wires then i'll order some 5mm (lutro0's is 4mm).

With that said I placed a massive order with moddiy yesterday for more stuff so hopefully that will arrive soon.

I've finally got something to update. I got a huge order in from moddiy and while they have a great selection, I gotta say that Lutro0's sleeve and heatshink is MUCH better. I'm pretty much done all the fan cabling. I've discovered that one of my Nexus fans is defective and is not spinning at full speed @ 12V. It stalls when I flip the fan controller to the lowest setting. So I just need to sleeve a replacement fan and make a custom cable to connect the controller directly to the PSU.

So here's what I've done. It would have looked better if the case was bigger annd the cables longer but I'm treating this case as a test project.

oP4R6D6.jpg

UdZNDak.jpg

mnl2WwO.jpg

My thumbs hurt so bad :D

Back