iSCSI Switch Setup

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm curious to what you guys are using for your iscsi switches and if your stacking them, not stacking them, all that good stuff.

We have the VNXe 3100 and have them plugged into two Dell PowerConnect 5424s. While this works great we have a little extra to spend and thought it would be nice to upgrade the 5424s to a pair of 6224s in a stack. I was also wondering since our throughput needs are so small if it would hurt to stack the new 6224s into the already existing stack we have as our core switch.

What do you guys think?

Stacking is beneficial for management (one point) and for spreading port-channels across switches for resiliency and ability to do other hash types (IP hashing). If you aren't doing that it doesn't do anything for performance.

That would be the biggest thing in my mind. Cross port channel gives me greater redundancy.

What do you think about stacking with the existing stack?

I don't know Dell switches...but that's fine assuming compatibility and backplane speeds.

I don't know Dell switches...but that's fine assuming compatibility and backplane speeds.

Stacking is no problem they will be all from the same family of switch gear. the back plane that we have right now is 24 gigs upgrade able to 48

Back