iSCSI Server 2012 Target Service

RocketBits

n00b
I have a question:
I have a large amount of storage directly attached to my server running Server 2012 Datacenter. I would like to create an iSCSI SAN on my LAN (the server is connected to the LAN via 4x Gigabit Ethernet). I would like to make this DAS available to all my Macs and PCs on the LAN. I would like to store large content libraries on it, such as Lightroom, Premiere, etc. How do I setup the iSCSI Target in Server 2012? I am confused about Virtual Hard Drives and Mac and PC connecting.

I doubt iSCSI is what you really want because it will not be shared among other pc/macs but rather provide a block device to each pc/mac that they individually access.

Best bet is to setup a SMB/CIFS network share.

exactly!!

unless there's a second box to mirror LUNs with and configure SMB/CIFS as a fault tolerant share on top on an HA SAN - that would make sense

I doubt iSCSI is what you really want because it will not be shared among other pc/macs but rather provide a block device to each pc/mac that they individually access.

+1. If you are attaching multiple computers to an iSCSI device you better be using a Cluster aware file system or you will have some very odd behavior.

Note you can connect multiple machine to the same iSCSI LUN, but you need to use a cluster file system like OCFS2. This is usually only done for specific use cases like Oracle RAC.

Back