ISCSI over WAN question

SJConsultant

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
3,599
While I understand the benefits of running ISCSI in a typical LAN environment, I am not sure how ISCSI would perform over a WAN connection, so I'll start by asking these two questions.

Are there any benefits (performance or overwise) to running ISCSI over a private leased line (1.5Mbps) as opposed to direct file transfers?

What about running ISCSI over a typical broadband connection?
 
I don't think I would run iSCSI over either type of connection. iSCSI can provide some speed and functionality increases over a fast (gigabit+) network but is not really meant to run over slower links like what you are referring too.
 
aug1516 said:
I don't think I would run iSCSI over either type of connection. iSCSI can provide some speed and functionality increases over a fast (gigabit+) network but is not really meant to run over slower links like what you are referring too.

qft.

==>Lazn
 
You'd be better off with standard VPN software, it's more designed for this kind of thing. SSH works for me (tm).
 
unhappy_mage said:
You'd be better off with standard VPN software, it's more designed for this kind of thing. SSH works for me (tm).

There is no problem with the current site to site connectivity.

At this point I am entertaining some basic ideas of replicating large volumes of data or centralizing storage that may require larger than T1 capacities, but the costs need to be kept to a minimum since this involves small business clients.

If ISCSI performed more efficiently at moving data than a typical "file transfer" over a WAN link, I would consider testing its implementation with a T1.
 
Back
Top