• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

IS7 - PS, Temps, Several questions

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 8, 2001
Messages
5,540
1. Does a better PS really help get a higher overclock?
2. Does the IS7 read temps high?
I am gettting 45 idle, 60-65C under load
3. Is 2x 512 memory really worth it/ better than 2 x 256
and yes I have heard that you can never have enough RAM, etc..
I mean is it worth the extra $, I game, thats about it.

UPDATE-
Well, my 2.6 runs 3.5 on my IS7 w/ enermax 350
it wil run 3.6 on my buddies IC7 max3 w/ enermax 465
I think it's the power supply, or is it the board or both? <<
any ideas ?

T-man
 
1. Does a better PS really help get a higher overclock?
I'm not sure, tho there definately is a difference in QUALITY in regards to build, heat, and voltage fluctuations.
2. Does the IS7 read temps high?
This is one for an owner of one, but id say the mobo's readouts SHOULD be the most reliable.
3. Is 2x 512 memory really worth it/ better than 2 x 256
If you can find a good deal on some, I'd go for it, prices are low - and i'd be a little insurance toward the future, but if your mainly gaming, I dont think you really need it. If you were photoshop/video editing/etc.......Yes yes yes.

BTW: did u get my pm?
 
Originally posted by The T-man
1. Does a better PS really help get a higher overclock?
2. Does the IS7 read temps high?
I am gettting 45 idle, 60-65C under load
3. Is 2x 512 memory really worth it/ better than 2 x 256
and tes I have heard that you can never have enough RAM, etc..
I mean is it worth the extra $, I game, thats about it.

T-man


1. no

2. yes, Abit boards read higher than normal temps.

3. Depends on your needs, 1 gig is nice to have but not necessary.
 
All Intel based Abit boards read CPU temps a little to high. Abit knows of this issue, and posted this. You can read it on their forums too. Being that I have a rather good cooling system, I thought my CPU temps were mighty high. I convinced my friend to upgrade to the IC7-G like mine. His case has a built in temp reading system, and it reported his CPU at 35C and in BIOS at 45C. Gave me a sigh of relief.

As for the PS, no.
As for the memory... like they said. If your gaming, then no. If your editing media, then yes. 1GB will be noticed.
 
Originally posted by The T-man
UPDATE-
Well, my 2.6 runs 3.5 on my IS7 w/ enermax 350
it wil run 3.6 on my buddies IC7 max3 w/ enermax 465
I think it's the power supply, or is it the board or both? <<
any ideas ?

T-man

I'ts probably your chip. 3.5 is very good.
 
As owner of two different is7's i can vouch for the fact that the boards do read temps between 5 and 10 degrees higher than other mobos.

As far as power supplies are concerned, if your voltages do not fluctuate more than about +-.07 volts or so when you stress test then the power supply is fine.

With regard to the memory, if you plan on pushing your system to highest possible overclock then 2x256 megs of ram has had better luck going further than 2x512. Case in point is the couple batches of 2x512 of bh-5 that i have owned. No set would run more than 236mhz, in dual channel mode, with vdimm less than 3.3volts. Ohers have been able to push 2x256 up to 250+mhz on less than 3.3volts vdimm...
 
There is quite a difference between the boards. The IC7 series run stable, but the Max3 really has overclocking mastered. I don't imagine the PSU has so much of a influence on how high you can crank your system.
 
I went from the 400watt raidmax that came with my case to an Antec Truepower 550 (truecontrol actually) and it made absolutely NO difference at all.

My IS7 seems to be FSB limited at the 272 mark. I think that 875 chipset is just better suited to high FSB overclocks, as I have not seen many IS7s doing a 300fsb compared to the IC7s.


I have 1 GB of ram, and I have used monitoring software to tell me how much memory I have free. When I play America's Army, I dip into the low 400Mb range, so that means I am utilizing MORE than 512k, which leads me to believe that if I only had 512k I would be hitting the swap file, which I am not, and my gaming experience would suffer.

With upcoming titles using directx9 such as HL2 and Doom3, I wouldn't skimp on memory.


As for your temps, that is definately normal for the IS7 series. I am not convinced that the readings are incorrect, but they are definately not apples if you are comparing to apples. My Idle temps are 39 to 45 depending on ambient, and load temps are from 54 to 62, using the Zalman 7000, lots of case fans, and the IHS removed.

Only compare Abit temps to Abit temps, otherwise, its apples to oranges. I am going water soon anyway. I already have the stuff, but that's for another thread :D

so like the other guys said, the problem is probably NOT the PSU unless it is a cheapo 200 watt unit or something. 3.5 Is mighty high already, I wouldn't be dissapointed with that.

get the GB of ram if you can afford it, but if you are on a tight budget you're better off spending that money on a better video card, like a 9800pro versus a 9600pro, or a 9800XT vs 9800pro. I mean, 512Mb/9800pro is a better value than 1Gb/9600

have fun :D
 
Back
Top