is ZFShe board does support ECC unbuffered ram so i could go to 16gb ecc for me?

Zedicus

[H]ard|Gawd
i have no idea what happened to the thread title...

so i am finally in need of adding some space to a SOHO server. it does more then just serve files though. i have not found comparable software in any form of solaris.

options seem to be:
stick with hardware controllers and linux. ext4 or xfs
use esxi as the core os and run solaris and linux
i see freebsd works but have not looked up all my software yet
is ZFS on linux ready for SOHO use?

my current OS is debian but has been degraded to oldstable and will soon have no support. upgradeing the OS in place is not an option due to the HP branded controller, as such i do not think i can use larger then 2tb drives. upgradeing 8 1tb drives to 8 2tb drives and moving all the data is not practical.

the server is 6 core 64 bit. only has 4gb ram but that was more then enough with the older hardware based controller. the board does support ECC unbuffered so i could go to 16gb ECC. and i would like to go ahead and replace the HP controller too.

any way i look at this i need to spend some money so i am o.k. with that. just looking for options. initial install will be around 8tb on the new system. current system is 6.5tb hardware RAID5. the hardware controllers growth is quite limited. on a ZFS box i can mix controllers correct? running some off the MB and some off of an HBA?

Last edited:
Yes on zfs you can use any combination of SATA ports. If the OS sees it then you can use it.

My first choice would be an esxi box. That way you could always have future expandability in terms of your software. A lot of people on here do this and it is a fine and stable choice.

can ESXI be managed with out having a windows pc? or can the management pc be a virtualized windows box?

You need windows to run the esxi management software "vsphere client". Its just a small piece of software that will work as long as it can get a network connection to the server (even if its through a remote vpn)

Code:
Make sure that the vSphere Client hardware meets the minimum requirements.
■

CPU – 1 CPU
■

Processor – 500MHz or faster Intel or AMD processor (1GHz recommended)
■

Memory – 1GB RAM
■

Disk Storage – 1.5GB free disk space for a complete installation, which includes the following components:
■

Microsoft .NET 2.0
■

Microsoft .NET 3.0 SP1
■

Microsoft Visual J#

Remove any previously installed versions of Microsoft Visual J# on the system where you are installing the vSphere Client.
■

vSphere Client 4.1

If you do not have any of these components already installed, you must have 400MB free on the drive that has the %temp% directory.

If you have all of the components already installed, 300MB of free space is required on the drive that has the %temp% directory, and 450MB is required for vSphere Client 4.1.
■

Networking – Gigabit connection recommended

esxi is pretty nice also. It runs a simple http server on the server box, so if you don't have the vsphere client installed you can download it directly from the server.

The page looks like this:

download-vsphere.png

I'm pretty sure you can turn it on or off and restrict access.

buy a m1015. upgrade debian. mirror some 4tb drives. copy your data over.

the sata card is around $100.

i do not have any windows pc's. i have a laptop from work but it has vsphere client on it for admin of the vsphere system at work. can i use it on the system at work and my home system if i go the esxi route?

or better yet does the free ESXI allow connection to the webclient? the paid version we have at work hasa webclient that has all the features of the installable client.

it looks like 'vcenter server' is a paid for management piece. i guess my options are figure out if i can connect to 2 seperate esxi systems with the client on one machine (my work laptop) or maybe try a xen install on the server.

Back