Is your system silent enough?

How noisy is your system, and would you want to make it more silent?

• I've been declared legally deaf, you insensitive clod!

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • My system is incredibly noisy, and I want to silence it

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • My system is incredibly noise, but I am not planning to silence it

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • My system is relatively noisy, and I want to silence it

Votes: 44 27.5%
  • My system is relatively noisy, but I am not planning to silence it

Votes: 39 24.4%
  • Next thing I'm going to silence are those noisy LEDs!

Votes: 38 23.8%

• Total voters
IceWind said:
That being said, "Ice Chamber" had an insane 10 fans running at once. 2 Intakes, 2 exhaust, 1 blowhole, PCI exhaust, CPU, HDD cooler and PSU. THe noise from it was absolutely insane. I could physically feel the dust being drawn around my room into my case. I had to crank up my headphones just so I could hear the right speaker over the noise.
Heh, my system used to be so noisy that whenever I walked out of my room and closed the door, it'd be like I went deaf because of the difference in ambient noise :D

Was running a Tornado....and it was loud as HELL. I had one before also, though it didn't
seem to bother me then. Now, it does. I'm currently on a 3000 rpm Zalman for the cpu, and that combined with five other roughly 2500-3000 rpm fans in my case is still LESS loud then the single Tornado. :eek:

Mines pretty quiet with case open. When I close it the temps rise and my mom doesn't let us turn the A/C lower then 78, living in houston makes it hell. I'd like to have it quieter but I can't cuz I can't close my damn case. Can't wait to get a real job.

My computer runs rather quiet... The loudest part is my pump which is a constant hum. It doesn't bother me and really is not loud at all, I am thinking about adding more padding under it though.

Elledan said:
Where might one buy this Airplane Dope? What else could be used for silencing those noisy coils?

I'm currently trying to silence this awfully noisy PSU. The fan is virtually silent now (can't hear it from a meter away with some ambient noise), but those coils are driving me insane :)
Okay, I used some glue on those coils and they're much more silent now :)

Is having finger guards over the top of your CPU fan a hint that "this fan may be LOUD"? :D

Good old Thermoengine with a Delta attached...great in it's day. My system now has a smaller fan on the aforementioned, a thermally controlled psu fan (that you can hear stepping up a gear when Doom 3 is playing - next one will be fanless...shame my last PSU died on a Sunday), and a pair of 120s front and rear (blowing across the near silent Maxtors (4 of them)). I may fit my spare Zalman Fanmate to the front one or disconnect it and see if that helps. All are drowned out when the DVD/CDRW spins up though :(

Elledan said:
Where might one buy this Airplane Dope? What else could be used for silencing those noisy coils?

I'm currently trying to silence this awfully noisy PSU. The fan is virtually silent now (can't hear it from a meter away with some ambient noise), but those coils are driving me insane :)

towerhobbies.com

search for "Midwest Aerogloss"

My case is relatively noisy, but it's not unpleasant, probably because it isn't high frequency. I currently have an AOpen HX-08 full tower. I have almost all Panaflo fans (an extreme depth 80mm in front, two 80mm low noise models in back sucking air from the hard disk area, and a 60mm from an IBM PCjr exhausting from the CPU area), plus a Sunon double ball-bearing 80mm on my Thermalright SLK800 HSF, and an 80mm and 92mm in my Enermax 470w PSU with its own fan controller (which I have set to minimum). It has about the standard noise of a high-end 5U server I'd guess.

My plan to silence it involves purchasing an Antec P160 case, which has two 120mm fan mounts, and making a top blowhole for another 120mm. I'll port my power supply over, and the Sunon 80mm fan, and use the low-noise Antec 120mm fan included, plust two 120mm low-noise Panaflo 120mm fans that I have on order. I should be able to move at least an equivalent amount of air at lower noise levels. The Antec fan mounts have rubber grommets to shield the fans from vibration, and I've ordered a Vantec fan silencer gasket for the blowhole fan.

I had an alpha with a panaflo H1A 80mm that was irritating at ~36db, since the hardware broke, I'm running the stock cooler which isn't noticable over the psu fans.

Currently the loudest is probably the psu fans in my Antec 330W, second would be my 9600 pro fan, it doesn't make a lot of noise, moreso a high pitched whine.

I have a maxtor and a western digital hard drive and the maxtor is quite a bit louder when seeking.

Also, I'm using a Liteon which are notorious for being a little noisy. I would like to build up a quieter system though. My music usually overpowers it, but I don't ALWAYS listen to music.

System in sig with a SLK-900u and a 38 db Sunon fan on it. Definetly not quiet with the case fans (25 db fans, but they are loud due to turbulant airflow over the hardrives)

But I can't hear it over some music on the speakers or headphones

Back