• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is your PS2 modded?

jhego

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
1,448
I have the first gen PS2 (with the HD slot) and i would like to mod it for some reason. I don't know the types out there. Does it work like the Xbox where you can transfer games to the HD? What are the advantages of modding it besides playing backup PS1 and PS2 games?

(not sure if it's ok to talk about modding in this forum)
 
I don't think you get any advantages other than the backup games part.
Not sure about the HD thing
 
Yep, you can install a hard drive and play games off it. I was at a friend's house when he used HDLoader to play some NTSC-J games from the hard drive.

It's really pretty amazing. Loading times are cut down dramatically, and you can play foreign games too. Compatibility is pretty good as well.

I believe he had the program on his memory card, but I'm not too sure about the details. Maybe someone else will know more about this... my PS2 is a first-gen as well, but I never got around to messing with stuff like these. ;) Anyway, just wanted to say that yeah, you can play the games off the hard drive... it's definitely worth checking out.
 
Yes, Matrix Infinity V1.93 on a V6 (IIRC) PS2. I got the PS2 for free, paid $75 for the modchip, then had a friend use mine as a guinea pig to see if he could install one on his sons, he didn't charge me. But I don't play it all that much anymore.

The main advantage of modding it is the ability to play burned copies of the games, whether it be a legitimate backup or piracy. There are also a few homebrew applications that you can run with them. I have a media player that runs of CD and plays DIVX.
 
Yep, I have a V2 with a Crystal Chip 2 & 500GB HDD. Given, it's easy as shit to region-change the V2 anyways (it has 3 sets of solder pads on the board; US, NA and EU, and you short the one you want :rolleyes:), but loading times + saving the very old (7 years) laser make it worth it for me.

Being able to run ELFs on it and grab RAM data for fan-translating is also very nice.
 
V2 with a Duo2 modchip. The very same PS2 I bought in December 2000 and the very first chip I ever installed on a PS2 along with a Western Digital 250GB.

Compatibility is pretty good, but a lot of the games I wanted to play had some major issues. Suikoden V kept freezing randomly, but it was still better than playing it on a disc.
 
Mine is a V7 with a DMS3+. Best chip I've ever owned. I know they have DMS4 now, but the 3+ was top of the line when I got it. It really gives me a better gaming experience, mainly because I love playing Japanese imports. One reason I don't have a PS3 or X360 is, as far as I know, there are no "safe" modchips for them that enable region free game play, or backup/burned copies, which is really important if a particular game has a "fansub" pack that has to be included by editing the ISO.
 
One reason I don't have a PS3 or X360 is, as far as I know, there are no "safe" modchips for them that enable region free game play, or backup/burned copies, which is really important if a particular game has a "fansub" pack that has to be included by editing the ISO.

The PS3 is region free so you can import any title that you want.
 
I didnt know there were this many mod chips out there. Can someone link me to a forum that is mainly about PS2 mods?
 
Never did mod my V4, but I do use the HDLoader. I hate playing games from the DVD drive after having played it from the hard drive.
 
Compatibility is pretty good, but a lot of the games I wanted to play had some major issues. Suikoden V kept freezing randomly, but it was still better than playing it on a disc.

The game is so damn weird, there is a specific Soul Calibur 2/Suikoden V mode for it in the 0.8b HDL.

I own the game on disc, and load times were simply awful...dumping it to HDD made it much, much more enjoyable thankfully.
 
I've got a DMS4 I never got around to installing. I'd love to send it to someone to do it, specifically for the HD capabilities. PS2 load times were always lame.

Modding my Xbox was the greatest thing ever. It made Lanning with Halo 1 and 2 so easy as there were no disks to tote, and crap just loads sooooooo much faster from the HD.

Thats my one complaint about the 360, I wish every time I use it for a copy-to-hard drive option like some of the PS3 games use.
 
I have a first gen PS2 and I was never a fan for wanting to solder 25+ connections, so I got the flip-top mod with swap disc. Plays all games including imports without a problem (using the newer SwapMagic versions).
 
Nothing against Swap Magic, but I've had so many people come by and tell me to take their Swap Magic cases and discs as payment for mod installation that it's not even funny. :p
 
Another vote for HD Loader, .8b patched to be exact.

Love the huge decrease in load times. Had the flip top/swap magic until I got HD loader on the memory card.
 
Back
Top