Is XP SP2 out yet or not? Do you have to use automatic updates?

Nazo

2[H]4U
I passed by MS' site with the intentions of getting DX9.0C and noticed that they have kind of implied that SP2 is out or about to be or something, but they aren't terribly clear. They just keep telling you over and over to turn on automatic updates. Well, I HATE those automatic updates. They aren't the most efficient download method and I can't keep track. Also, I love getting the redistributables because if I should later need to reinstall, there it is on my harddrive or a cd or whatever. Plus, it's a pain, but, one can rig up an installer CD where the copy of windows has the service pack built in. This saves me immense troubles during my tri-monthly reinstallations (boy do I not miss the days of once monthly back with win98.)

Probably it's just not out yet, but they were kind of confusing about it. And I'm worried they want to force us to enable that automatic update, which as I said I've always hated.

No, I don't check the main page every single day. It's not exactly what you'd call very near to the top, you must admit. Heck, just scrolling through I missed it each time until I used the search option, and this is when I knew what to look for... And I'll bet there have been occasions when you forgot to read every single thing on the page too... Geez, some people have serious issues.

However, I did spend about 30 minutes digging through microsoft's site to no avail. See, it is more inclined to occur to someone to check the site of the people who own the software than a site that more or less concentrates on hardware...

according to MS, users who have installed a beta version of SP2 could begin downloading via WU on 8/10. Those who aren't on SP2 beta will have to wait until 8/16. This is straight from the MS website.

Erm, so is that link to a beta version or something then?

Doesn't actually say beta anywhere though. I think it's real.

things are a bit muddy, for me anyway - :p

the D/L is NOT the final for the public -thats Aug 25

the link is for the 272MB developers/networked corp users.
supposedly the public D/L is 266.1MB

however, when I d/l it (the 272) it came in as 266
maybe they pulled the 272 since so may peeps were D/L
or maybe the 6 MB diff is D/L overhead, but thats quite a bit

i'm also getting the feeling from many posts on other sites (MS Beta) from very knowledgeable people that there are probs still. While I have no basis for this in fact, I feel as tho the Aug 25 D/L will be a bit diff even tho it will still be 2180. Remember you are NOT supposed to download this now as a single home user. :

The only reason you aren't supposed to download this now as a home user is that they don't want to kill their servers. The "XP Pro" SP2 is going to be about 70MB or so, and the "XP Home" SP2 is going to be around 60MB. There is absolutely no need to have millions of people downloading a 266MB update.

Also, any change they make to SP2 will change the build number - that's not something they'll lie about. The version posted to Technet is final. They wouldn't ever release an "almost final" version of the SP as final to the world.

Okay, certain configurations may have issues with the Service Pack. However, they won't update it and re-release it claiming it's the same build number. If they update and release, it'll be as "SP2a".

UMCPWintermute said:
The only reason you aren't supposed to download this now as a home user is that they don't want to kill their servers. The "XP Pro" SP2 is going to be about 70MB or so, and the "XP Home" SP2 is going to be around 60MB. There is absolutely no need to have millions of people downloading a 266MB update.

Also, any change they make to SP2 will change the build number - that's not something they'll lie about. The version posted to Technet is final. They wouldn't ever release an "almost final" version of the SP as final to the world.

Okay, certain configurations may have issues with the Service Pack. However, they won't update it and re-release it claiming it's the same build number. If they update and release, it'll be as "SP2a".

Thanks UMCPWintermute! I am so tired of reading all the posts from everyone about whether or not this is the final version. It IS the final version. SO far, I have installed it on 7 different machines, all with different configurations (P4, AMD, P4-M, PIII) and have not encountered one single problem. MS did a phenomenal job on this update, especially the fixes for Wireless connections (WPA now works without disconnecting all the time).

Back