Is Wireless-G+ with MIMO better than standard 802.11g? Or should I get Pre-N?

bjxxx

n00b
Of course I know you'd need same manufacturer for adapter and router and both with "MIMO" to see a difference

Is Wireless-G+ with MIMO just a marketing gimmick or is there real improvements over standard 802.11g? Because I'm having trouble with decrease link speed on standard 802.11g

does your current ap have one or two antenna's?
I know i saw a big jump going from one to two antenna's even if it wasn't a "mimo" AP with multiple radios.

does your current ap have one or two antenna's?
I know i saw a big jump going from one to two antenna's even if it wasn't a "mimo" AP with multiple radios.

Current AP has two antennas
Linksys WRT54G V3.1 Wireless-G Broadband Router (2+ years old maybe)

my guess is that mimo might help a little bit since it's more than one radio sending at a time, but i am not sure how much it helps if you don't have a mimo card on the client side as well.

MIMO routers blow the doors off of old G when it comes to distance, the wireless networks I've been deploying..majority have been MIMO (except in biz/enterprise where I'm using higher security Sonicwall WiFiSec on their G products). I've been doing pretty much all MIMO for almost 2 years now...the benefits of it are indeed that much greater. I don't want people calling me back saying "My wireless won't reach the other end of the house"..etc etc....so that's one of the reasons I've jumped to MIMO.

It really is that much better. You don't need N wireless NICs to benefit from the range increase in MIMO routers/APs...any old G client will benefit from the range boost. It's just the high speed you don't get unless you use matching NICs.

MIMO routers blow the doors off of old G when it comes to distance, the wireless networks I've been deploying..majority have been MIMO (except in biz/enterprise where I'm using higher security Sonicwall WiFiSec on their G products). I've been doing pretty much all MIMO for almost 2 years now...the benefits of it are indeed that much greater. I don't want people calling me back saying "My wireless won't reach the other end of the house"..etc etc....so that's one of the reasons I've jumped to MIMO.

It really is that much better. You don't need N wireless NICs to benefit from the range increase in MIMO routers/APs...any old G client will benefit from the range boost. It's just the high speed you don't get unless you use matching NICs.

Which MIMO router do you recommend? I was gonna go with this Belkin router

Which MIMO router do you recommend? I was gonna go with this Belkin router

I've done quite a few of those, a few DLinks, but most of what I use are Linksys/Cisco gear. Right now I'm at an eye care center adding wireless using a WAP4400n unit.

The wrt300n models are good routers based on the ones I've installed.

I'm not a fan of Netgear based on their customer support (or lack of)...and their products since their split from Bay Networks quite a few years ago...but some of their units do well in current comparisons I've read.

Get a Belkin one based on the Airgo chip. If you only use 11g cards with mimo then you won't see much of a speed increase but the range sure does improve.

Back