Is WD data lifeguard software good?

TheDarkTao

Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
800
Well the title says it all. I have a need 500WDksrts SATAII HDD... It come with the data lifeguard software and all... I almost never use software that comes with things like these... But I just wanted to check if there was any reason to use it. Also I was wondering if their "secure" connect connetors are good or not...

Well, thanks for any advice!

See yall around...


TDT
 
Some people really like WD's Secure-connect cables. I am not one of them.
The Data Lifeguard tools come in handy sometimes, for example when trying to clone a drive or check one for errors.

Aside from that I don't see a reason to install them.
 
Yea, I cannot tell if the cables do anything really... I don't get the whole "secure connect" thing... I used it though... I will not install data software unless I need to check or something...
 
Google just released a report on thousands of drives used and they found heat and activity level were not strong correlates to disk failure. The strongest indicator of failure was if a drive had shown any scan errors (SMART and Check Disck etc)

""We find that the group of drives with scan errors are 10 times more likely to fail than the group with no errors," said the authors.

They added: "After the first scan error, drives are 39 times more likely to fail within 60 days than drives without scan errors."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6376021.stm

I use SMART every couple weeks
 
Thanks for the replies! One last Q... Is there any advantage to a SATA power connector vs a standard 4 pin one?
 
Google just released a report on thousands of drives used and they found heat and activity level were not strong correlates to disk failure. The strongest indicator of failure was if a drive had shown any scan errors (SMART and Check Disck etc)

""We find that the group of drives with scan errors are 10 times more likely to fail than the group with no errors," said the authors.

They added: "After the first scan error, drives are 39 times more likely to fail within 60 days than drives without scan errors."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6376021.stm

I use SMART every couple weeks

Damn, I've been getting that error on mine for a while now. I can't use Ghost, True image or the WD Clone software, all of them give me errors. Can't make an image either using Ghost gives me an error. I run the WD SMART Tools and it gives me an error. I was hoping I would somehow have been able to make an image or clone but it looks like I'm just going to have to re-install everything on a new drive.:(
 
try using Acronis True Image to make a image / mirror

dont remember if there was an "ignore errors" or something like that

i used it last month to mirror a laptop drive that was failing on 3 S.M.A.R.T. points
it took 7hrs to do 40gb - but it finished and the copy works great on the replacement drive
 
Back
Top