Is Vista worth it yet?

Enlitence.Systems

Limp Gawd
So, as SP1 is here, I still have a free key of Vista business DVD through MSDNAA, Im wonding if SP1 makes it.... better, currently I have XP32 and it needs to be reformatted BADLY

I'm using Windows Home Server box to hold all my info so the move will be pretty easy (thankfully)

and I've just gotten tired of XP, not sure why but 7+ years of the same OS is just boring... I tried some free distros but it just doesnt feel right....

so do I make the plunge?

basicly just WoWing, webbrowsing, and random stuff. no major things.

Go for it, install but dont activate until you experiment with different drivers and settings until you tune as you like, once you're comfortable with it, activate and backup with your imaging software of choice, acronis, drive image xml, etc

Do a Vista looking thing on your XP? If just the look feels old but the OS is doing its job I think it does not worth it to switch. Vista will not give you any wow factor I am afraid other than the new desktop interface.

If you already have a copy, there's no reason not to.

If you owned XP but not Vista, a strong argument could be made that XP is "good enough."

Just be sure you have the specs for it. I'd recommend a dual core CPU with 2 GB of RAM, but I've seen it run respectably on a single core CPU.

vista has been wrokng great for me seince last march. with sp1 it's even a lot better. i would recommend it if you're in the market for an ew computer

Are people developing allergies to the search function? This question was just asked with just about word-for-word the same title!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1289148

Yes, Vista x64 works great, especially with SP1. Is it worth it to you? No one else can answer that but you, depending on your budget, cost of the OS to you, and if you are willing to do a clean install.

It was worth it from the start. I've been using it since beta and never looked back.

SP1 does improve alot of things that others were having issues with. Make sure your system is good enough and do searches and see if your hardware has any issues...

What are the major key improvements in SP1?

Network file transfers are faster.
Calculating "estimated time remaining" is accurate.
+ all other patches that were already release incrementally since RTM.

Back