Is Vista 64 worth the upgrade??

dreamer3kx

Limp Gawd
I have Vista 32bit installed,everything works fine,no problems at all.Sorry if this question gets asked alot but is it worth it to upgrade to 64bit? Is it a bit faster? Will I have any problems? Whats the deal? Thanks.

You gave absolutely zero information in terms of us being able to help you. As far as we know, it could be possible that you're using a processor that isn't x64 compatible, making this a moot point.

Anyway, on to something constructive. Some people, including me, feel it is snappier than the x86 equivalents, but I can't say I can provide proof of that. It certainly isn't slower or less responsive.

Two factors will answer your question...what hardware you have, and if you feel like doing a clean fresh format. Depending on your license type, the cost may only be $10.60 for an x64 disc.

As for the problems, again, we have no idea. Take a look at the primary apps and games you use, and then research them for their compatibility. You're the only one who can make this decision, even if you gave detailed specs.

You gave absolutely zero information in terms of us being able to help you. As far as we know, it could be possible that you're using a processor that isn't x64 compatible, making this a moot point.

Anyway, on to something constructive. Some people, including me, feel it is snappier than the x86 equivalents, but I can't say I can provide proof of that. It certainly isn't slower or less responsive.

Two factors will answer your question...what hardware you have, and if you feel like doing a clean fresh format. Depending on your license type, the cost may only be $10.60 for an x64 disc.

As for the problems, again, we have no idea. Take a look at the primary apps and games you use, and then research them for their compatibility. You're the only one who can make this decision, even if you gave detailed specs.

oops,sorry. Yes Im on a C2D cpu
8800gt oc
2 gig ram

I know my hardware is fine, its the software im a bit worried about,I game here and there(cod4,ut3 etc...) Its the small programs like Rivatuner,antivirus programs,the little programs that I use almost everyday. Im not sure whats compatible.Maybe ill just google all the programs I use and see if they are compatible.

If you're running Vista 32 today and things are fine I don't see any pressing need to upgrade to Vista 64 on your rig. That said, If you find yourself in need or reinstalling for any reason in the future I would install Vista 64 instead. That's what I did. I ran 32 happily until I needed to install the OS when I upgraded my Mobo, CPU and RAM. That's when I made the change to 64 bit.

So, you're probably fine for now unless you decided to upgrade to 4+GB of memory.

What type of license for Vista x86 do you have? If you qualify, I'd pay the $10 and change to get the x64 media regardless of your plans. Then you have it. Also, give today's memory prices, 4 GB is a cheap upgrade. You'd have the x64 in hand already if you decide to upgrade the memory.

Short answer: yes

Long answer: It's REALLY long and involved, but generally boils down to yes.

If you're running Vista 32 today and things are fine I don't see any pressing need to upgrade to Vista 64 on your rig. That said, If you find yourself in need or reinstalling for any reason in the future I would install Vista 64 instead. That's what I did. I ran 32 happily until I needed to install the OS when I upgraded my Mobo, CPU and RAM. That's when I made the change to 64 bit.

So, you're probably fine for now unless you decided to upgrade to 4+GB of memory.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If you're fine with what you have now, leave it! If it's not fine either now or in the future, change it.

What type of license for Vista x86 do you have? If you qualify, I'd pay the $10 and change to get the x64 media regardless of your plans. Then you have it. Also, give today's memory prices, 4 GB is a cheap upgrade. You'd have the x64 in hand already if you decide to upgrade the memory.

I have the retail ultimate version,vista 64 is included.Yea I was planning on upgrading to 4 gigs soon,memory prices are way down.

I think you should stay with Vista 32 bit if it is not having any issues now.

Yep XP32 or if you can't live without aero, Vista32. XP is better in every way anyway.

Back