Is using a USB to M.2 adapter to boot and then copy to NVMe inside the right way?

alkemyst

Limp Gawd
I don't have access to a desktop and I have two laptops that come with 128GB SSDs M.2 coming. They are compatible with NVMe so I picked up a couple 256GB SX8200 Pros. Since USB to PCIe/NVMe is no go, can I take the stock drive out and place it on a M.2 to USB adapter to boot with and then transfer over USB to the new NVMe drive inside the laptops after I install them?

What's the software of choice for this?

USB to NVMe exists now actually. If the old drives are SATA based, any inexpensive adapter will do.

Found one. Had my search on amazon wrong and read that older article about usb and pcie issues

I've done this with SSD upgrades before. YMMV with nvme but I'd expect it to be the same.

Plug the new drive into the USB adapter. Use something like Macrium to clone the disk to the new drive. Once completed. Swap drives and you're good to go.
Since the new drive is larger, you, may just have to expand the partition after you swap it.

The pluggable is worth the extra bucks ($10 off right now apparently) if you intend to keep using it: built well, swap drives without a screwdriver, comes with both cables and actually sheaths with the case as a heatsink decent enough.

Modern flash actually likes being warmed up during use BTW, really only the controller throttles under most conditions.

Back