• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is tri 4890s worth it

Roland00

Gawd
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
837
I am currently building an i7 920. I bought 2 4890s one saphiire one xfx. Well at the hp/amd training I won an additional xfx 4890 as well as a. Visiontek 4670 1gb.

I am still waiting for the i7 920 from retailedge so should I do dual or tri 4890s if I do dual 4890s I will sell the third.

My power supple is a corsair hx1000watts the motherboard a gigabyte ex58 ud4p
 
Just use it. Some of the heavier games that are coming out might benefit from it.
 
i say CF two 4890's and sell the other one. i'd sell it quick too, cause they seem to be dropping in price. right now you can get a 4890 for $170 AR at the egg.
 
If you only go with dual 4890s, shoot me a PM with your price for the third 4890 as I am in the market for one. :)
 
You won't be able to max crysis out at high resolutions and get 60fps average, but it should handle most games.
 
I am currently building an i7 920. I bought 2 4890s one saphiire one xfx. Well at the hp/amd training I won an additional xfx 4890 as well as a. Visiontek 4670 1gb.

I am still waiting for the i7 920 from retailedge so should I do dual or tri 4890s if I do dual 4890s I will sell the third.

My power supple is a corsair hx1000watts the motherboard a gigabyte ex58 ud4p

I assume you won a 4890 and not a 4670 as I don't think it will xfire. but if you have it it might be neat to try but there is a point of fast diminishing returns after 2 gpus of any brand. then again 24CFAA....
 
I assume you won a 4890 and not a 4670 as I don't think it will xfire. but if you have it it might be neat to try but there is a point of fast diminishing returns after 2 gpus of any brand. then again 24CFAA....

I won both.

There was 3 class of drawings.

1) Raffle tickets for just showing up, winning anything from visiontek 4670 1gb, xbox 360 pros, to a dv7 1245dx hp laptop

I won my first prize here (visiontek 4670 1gb ddr3)

2) HP Gold members (taken all the tests for the last 3 months on the hp training website) I don't remember the prizes for this raffle for I didn't qualify. If you were a gold member you get a raffle ticket about 15 people out of a couple hundred possessed the neccessary training completed and thus received a separate raffle drawing.

3) AMD retailaccess members who have taken all 50 something tests for the last 365 days. You gain a goodbag of stuff regardless if you took all the tests (including two t-shirts, keychains, pens, deck of cards, stress balls etc.) In addition you were entered into the amd/ati raffle.

I won my second prize with the third drawing (xfx 4890 1gb). Now I could have gotten other things such as an amd 955 black edition but I decided on the graphic card since I have no need for the processor with my upcomming i7.

Because of this I saw a free movie, free pizza and drinks (booze you had to pay for, 14 dollars for a *censored* two screedrivers) and won 300 dollars worth of graphic cards. One of my friends won the 955 black edition (he is going to sell it for about 200 dollars) and another friend won the xbox 360 pro.
 
Just use it. Some of the heavier games that are coming out might benefit from it.
And I may upgrade to the 5000 series or the nvidia 300 series when they come out. Two of my cards are xfx 4890s so they will have good resell value.
If you only go with dual 4890s, shoot me a PM with your price for the third 4890 as I am in the market for one. :)
Will do if I don't keep it and I can't sell it to another friend (who didn't went to this event) who is currently doing his own i7 system build.
You won't be able to max crysis out at high resolutions and get 60fps average, but it should handle most games.
I game at 1920x1080 with a toshiba 37 inch tv.


I am just trying to figure out is 2 vs 3 worth it especially since I am surrendering cash and it will generate more heat inside my case (As soon as my processor gets here I will be buying an antec 1200 the last piece I am waiting for.)
 
I did, but I use my 3rd to power my duel 2001's and the other two in CF for my 3007...and I just add the 3rd into CF if I really need it.

since you won the 3rd, why not just try it out, I guess it depends on your resolution as well, as if you are gaming @ anything below 1920x1200, then it is overkill or you won't really see any significant gains other than 3dmark
 
I say sell no point in tri 4890's heat and noise will be pretty high, not to mention if you sell now you will maximize value.
 
All I can say is I wish I had your luck Roland! As for your situation, I would sell the 4670 & one of your 4890s and set the cash aside for the DX11 cards which are coming out in a few months. Dual 4890s are more than enough power to handle today's games at 1920X1080 (at least from my experience).
 
I am currently building an i7 920. I bought 2 4890s one saphiire one xfx. Well at the hp/amd training I won an additional xfx 4890 as well as a. Visiontek 4670 1gb.

I am still waiting for the i7 920 from retailedge so should I do dual or tri 4890s if I do dual 4890s I will sell the third.

My power supple is a corsair hx1000watts the motherboard a gigabyte ex58 ud4p

Go for it, tri fire is really where its at for ATI multi gpu scaling. You'd be able to max all games out there save for Crysis and Stalker CS and even with Crysis you'd still should be able to max 1920x1200 and retain playable fps.
 
I'm sure this was decided long ago, but one consideration might be to use a second monitor. I have heard some gripes about having to choose between CF and dual monitors. With a third card, you wouldn't have to. May not matter, but just a thought.
 
I'm sure this was decided long ago, but one consideration might be to use a second monitor. I have heard some gripes about having to choose between CF and dual monitors. With a third card, you wouldn't have to. May not matter, but just a thought.

I use 2 for my 30 and the 3rd to power my 2 secondary's ....so it's kinda nice being able to play @ 2560x1600 while still having a movie and a web page on my other screens
 
Back
Top