Is TMT6 a joke?

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
Chrome initially had its issues to with a ModernUI launch, namely no way to control which one you launched into, desktop or modernUI, but later they added a nice toggle. I got the email offer today to upgrade from TMT5 to 6 for $10, I mistakenly took it. There is no control, I can't figure out how to get back to the desktop mode, the support shortcuts aren't working right and take you to the TMT5 support page.

Now here is the interesting bit, when I first launched TMT6 it started in a desktop mode, I had started it from the desktop. I activated it and enabled hardware acceleration, closed it down, went to the start screen and launched it from there to see the modernUI version. Nerfed does not even begin to describe it, go to the settings menu its about as dumbed down as it gets, more then half the options are missing and all your left with are a couple of check boxes and toggles. Next thing you'll notice, its not even a real modernUI interface, just a dressed up full screen desktop window, none of the modernUI gestures work including the charms and app switching (sucks to be on a tablet).

I wanted to play with the 2D to 3D conversion since its one of its main selling points (the nice ad bulletin points) so I load up a MKV I made from Star Trek (2009) and it about gives me a headache with no 3D effect. Also tried some of my BDs and DVDs, no difference, some wouldn't even start the faux 3D. So I wanna see if I can play with the settings a bit, but the settings are missing via the modernUI, no problem switch back to desktop mode...how? I try to quit the program and starting it from the desktop shortcut, it sends me back to the faux modernUI. After digging around the program directory I find nothing. So this is where my fun with the support section begins, but I've already talked about that, TMT5. Now admittedly the desktop mode worked just like TMT5, but I have no way of getting to it.

I haven't tried rebooting and trying to launch it from the desktop, that is how I resolved the issue when Chrome initially took away the ability to determine which mode you go into via where you launch it from with out mentioning that they just added a switch. I tried googling to see if anyone else had any experience with it yet only to find that since its about 2 weeks old not very many outside the warez community have even touched it (I bought TMT5 and bought the upgrade to TMT6). I'm probably installing TMT5 again until they fix some of this up a bit.

Sounds like a bug. Says here on their web site:

All-new Modern UI design for Windows 8
  • Take advantage of the look and feel of the new Windows 8 UI styling
  • Touch screen interface for intuitive media control
  • Quickly access recently movies you play
  • The brand-new UI is compatible with the standard desktop UI as well
  • Windows 8 Modern UI, standard desktop UI, and Windows MCE Plug-in allow every user to get the immersive media playback experience that meets their personal needs.

I'm still running TMT3 myself. The rare times Blu-ray won't recognize TMT3, I just wait til I rip it with DVDFab to remove the DRM. Arcsoft's been good about keeping ahead of the game even in older versions.

Hopefully they'll fix TMT6!

Got my response from Support, uninstall, delete all directories and registry keys associated with TMT6 and reinstall. Nice one!

FYI, they mean Windows 8 UI style, its not a true Windows 8 Modern UI interface, its fullscreen desktop all. Until I hear something positive about TMT6 (which going by there forums isn't going to be anytime soon) I'm going back to the slightly less buggy TMT5.

Not that it matters but I wouldn't touch TMT6 with a ten foot pole since it includes the malware known as Cinavia.

I've been reading about that, what exactly is it. How is it malware, or effect other aspects of Windows?

EDIT: OK, here is the command for launching TMT6 in desktop mode (don't forget the "-Metro"): "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\uLaunchTMT6.exe" -Metro

Last edited:
I've been reading about that, what exactly is it. How is it malware, or effect other aspects of Windows?

It's not malware....people who claim so are embellishing for dramatic purposes or are misinformed what a virus/malware is.

Cinavia is an audio signal embedded in the soundtrack of a movie that the studio wants Cinavia detection on. It's inaudible; and so far undetectable (as in no one can isolate or even detect the actual signal).

Any HW Blu-ray player or software Blu-ray player made after Feb 2012 is obligated to include Cinavia detection in their player if they want a legitimate licence for Blu-ray playback. They don't include Cinavia - they just enable their players to detect the signal on the disc. Nothing replicates itself, nothing installs. It's just an audio source embedded in the movie. When the audio signal is triggered the player checks where the source/movie is coming from - if the source isn't the original disc (not a copy; even with encryption still intact) it will mute the sound. This entire process is what Cinavia is.

So in other words, since I play movies off the disc it doesn't matter, but if I tried playing my MKV rips it would not work...since I play those in MPC anyways it doesn't effect me.

EDIT: Says TMT5.3 doesn't included it, reinstalling it.

So in other words, since I play movies off the disc it doesn't matter, but if I tried playing my MKV rips it would not work...since I play those in MPC anyways it doesn't effect me.

EDIT: Says TMT5.3 doesn't included it, reinstalling it.

Correct - any player that doesn't need to get a license to play BR (i.e. isn't sold and/or official) will not be able to detect Cinavia.

The last update of TMT to not include Cinavia is 5.3.1.146. From 5.3.1.172 onward Cinavia detection is built in. I have many problems with TMT - their product and support. That said, I understand they tried to hold off on Cinavia as long as they could. They know it's gonna affect a lot of their user base. Thing is, if they want to keep putting out updates and don't want to get sued out of business, they needed to include it.

Last edited:
Slowly but surely I'm getting all the bugs worked out. Now that I can launch it in Desktop mode I could set my digital audio and get it working properly with my 3D monitor. Sim3D also works, its actually kinda neat, I tried it on a couple of movies and it reminds me a lot on that post production 3D work of The Last Airbender, but the 2009 Star Trek looked pretty darn spiffy. Its nice being able to actually set it so it works like its suppose to.

Back