Is this worth it?

  • Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

Guest
Sell my current 1366 setup(EVGA classified with WC block, Ram with WC block and CPU, but keep the CPU block) and go to an i7 3770k/3570k
Specs are in the sig, only change is that the GTX 460 is a GTX 570 classified and I have a 240gb mushkin ssd as well.
I will be reusing my EK block and probably go overkill and just use a swiftech quad radiator to cool just that.

There seem to be a few pros and cons that I have researched.

Pros

Less power usage
Less heat during idle(much better downclocking)
Really good gains in some areas(some games like SC2)
Sata 3 for my SSD


Cons

Not much of a difference of heat at load
Would probably cost me $300 or so after I sold my stuff
Haswell is going to be a new platform again



But honestly, I really just want something new and get away from 1366. Its just being wasted for my uses, I don't do anything other than really gaming and the power usage/heat is just not worth it for me.

Anyways, what kind of gains could I see if I let's say OC'ed the 3770k or 3570k to 4.5ghz compared to my current W3520 @ 4ghz?

And which motherboard would you recommend, I am leaning towards the Asrock z77 extreme6 based on the price/features/performance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At the same speed you would see a performance boost of around 10% to 15% by moving from the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors (socket 1366) to the 2nd generation Intel Core processors. Then the move from the 2nd generation Intel Core processors to the 3rd generation Intel Core processors would yeild around another 6%. Now for something like gaming you wouldnt get anywhere close to that big of a performance boost from it the move but making a "wild guess" I would think you are going to see around 5% to 10% boost in FPS in most games.
 
I don't about you, but when I consider upgrading, I don't only look at cost. I also think about time it will take. Sell your old stuff (if it all sells) , order new stuff, wait for it to arrive.

Sure, cost is the biggest factor, but a lot of people only see cost as a factor.
 
My point being, för that small increase, is it really worth the money, time and effort?
 
I do stream as well(using either Xsplit or the adobe media encoder) so I guess it would help there too.

To be honest, I really just want something new and get away from 1366 since it sucks so much power and its being wasted. And with the 3770k I could probably get 4,5ghz with ease and be happy, while with my W3520 I am basically stuck at 4ghz due to the ambient temperature.

If I don't go for this I will have to redo my watercooling loop(haven't cleaned it in about 1.5 years or so) and while that would be fun too, I don't like investing more money into this socket.

The only issue I have really had is that in Battlefield 3, when I get that layout thing, the yellow line(cpu) is often spiking and that is when the FPS drop, while the GPU is pretty consistent. Now that really bothers me sometimes.
 
I'd just wait for Haswell if I were you, the performance boost will not be that significant in your use case. Get in on Haswell on day 1 on a new socket to maximize value of the new platform.
 
I'd just wait for Haswell if I were you, the performance boost will not be that significant in your use case. Get in on Haswell on day 1 on a new socket to maximize value of the new platform.

Hmm..maybe I'll just get new Fans/Tubing and a new PSU(I think mine is going down the drain) and be happy. My airflow right now is fail as well, so that may be causing the higher temperatures. I'll have to see, if I can get a 3770K for really cheap(friend's dad who works @ intel) then maybe I will go through with it, but if I have to pay retail then I will probably not go for it.
 
Back
Top