Is this worth it? 2405FPW w/ Dimension 9100 - $1344.85

Javi

Weaksauce
I've been fiending for a 2405fpw because of guys like you, tempting me. At night, I hear the 2405FPW calling me at night... "Buy me.... you know you want me!"

At the same time, I've been wanting a new PC for a bit now. I'm running on a P4 2.4 on a 433FSB, and old 40GB PATA 5400 HD, 24x CD-RW, mis-matched ram 128/256/512 MB modules, and a 9800 Pro 128mb. Still a good computer, but it's one that my wife could use since she does use this PC for her work sometimes.

So I'm poking around Dell, and I find this config plus a 2405FPW running around with:

Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB), 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2DIMMs, 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE, 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache, Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive, etc etc. (as bare min. config)

All this for $1344 (after coupons and discounts).

If I do this, in the future, I will get another computer, but gut this 9100 for most of its parts so I won't have to have a costly upgrade in the future. Vid card won't be an issue since I will be upgrading elsewhere as it is.

I also did some math - if I take into account that I will buy this PC on a part-by part level, it would cost me around $671 (lowballing it). With that being said, the 2405FPW would only cost me $673.35 based on the former figure.

So my question is - is it worth it to do this? It essentially knocks out two birds with one stone.

dont do it if you are banking on raiding it for parts. if you are doing it for a new computer to use, then yeah. i just wouldnt raid a dell for parts if my life depended on it, it means only trouble what with their proprietary versions of parts with no drivers floating around, and their off-brand part usage, its just not worth it IMO. this has been my experience, but agian its been a year since i owned a dell so i could be wrong by now.

Nat

natpond said:
dont do it if you are banking on raiding it for parts. if you are doing it for a new computer to use, then yeah. i just wouldnt raid a dell for parts if my life depended on it, it means only trouble what with their proprietary versions of parts with no drivers floating around, and their off-brand part usage, its just not worth it IMO. this has been my experience, but agian its been a year since i owned a dell so i could be wrong by now.

Nat

How do you figure? I've done this before - I took the PSU, ram, CD-RW, OS, HD, Video Card, Mouse from a Dell before ( I made sure in advance that I bought the computer that had parts that could be taken out). Most of my PC setup now is from those exact parts. I'll figure I'll buy a new graphics card, upgrade the RAM, then keep it around for a few months. Then I'll raid the PC for whatever it has and just buy a new mobo/processor, and not have to spend all that money upgrading again! (plus the 2405FPW, don't forget and I already have a case ready to use)

i mean, do what you feel is right, but if you ask me dell uses less than stellar components. just one example among a few that i have:
i wanted to take a soundcard out of an old dell, it was an Audigy,s o a fairly nice soundcard, well i took it out slapped it in my new box, and proceeded to DL the drivers and install them. but to my dismay up popped a "you dont have an audicgy card installed message blah blah blah." so i called creative to see wher eic ould get the drivers, and they said only form dell, because it was a special run of pared-down audigys they did just for dell... now if that isnt suspicious, i dont knwo what is. what features could they have removed or altered to make it so different thatt he dirvers wouldnt work?

Nat

If you want this deal, I would wait a bit. i have seen it recently for as low as $1199 after $100 rebate. This price has come and gone twice in the last 2 months, as I recall, so chances are it will be offered again in the near future.

My advice is that unless you really want the 9100, don't go for it. The 2405 will probably be going for under 900 (maybe less) within the next couple of months.

Thanks all for the feedback.

zaam - It's getting to the point where it may be a need - My wife tends to use my PC alot for work purposes. I'll give you a good example - Last night, she started to work around 9pm or so. I wanted to do some work and get some gaming in, but she wouldn't let me on it. She has a laptop, but my PC is simply better and faster than her PoS. So it would be nice for me to use my PC whenever I want to, whether or not she is there or not.

But I may wait. I was hoping for a deal yesterday, but that was a no-go.

Back