Is this what ATi has in plan for 2005

mohammedtaha

2[H]4U
For a while I was wondering if this is what ATi has in plan for 2005

And now that I see that 2005 will bring about dual core processors I think this is what ATi is looking into.

Now that they are going into .11 gpus ... they can put 2 cores in 1 chip and have a slightly bigger gpu but more on 1 ...

It will be a better solution since heat will be less or should be less and they will not have compatibilty issues between video cards or ask you to spend $300 more on a motherboard.

The video cards should be cheaper to produce I think.

I wonder what they have in plan for 2005. They can't go with the SLI idea ... so is this their plan ?

I wouldn't be suprised if ATI did that. ATI would be staying true to their "compact" past and showing nVidia up if they could achieve same or better performance than the "bulky" SLI implementation.

I would think that they'd lose money on a dual core design (at this point anyway). This would be because two 110nm cores on a single piece of silicon would have many more transistors and thus have much greater area than a single 130nm core. Thats alot of silicon for fewer GPUs. This is seemingly why the CPU manufacturers waited until 90nm was a reality before producing dual core CPUs.

Well the first dual-chip card in a long time is coming soon. http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041216_115811.html (I don't like tomshardware to much, but it looks like he has the first look at this type of card.)
ATI doesn't even have SLI yet. (To be coming soon thou...) It looks right now that Nvidia will have the bigger jump on Dual-GPU on a single chip. I only say this beceause the amount of R&D Nvidia spends is huge and I think they will be able to get that type of product (even if its possible..) to the mainstream market first, but you never know... ATI has been on the ball for quite some time and so has Nvidia, so its going to be close either way...

ATi has experience with multiple GPU's on a card. But so does Nvidia after acquiring 3DFX's intellectual properties. That used to be the way things were done back in the day.

Multiple GPU's on one card could be a strong way for ATi to go vs. SLi. Think about it, you can start using the bandwidth of PCI-E and AGP 8x, right away and use a single slot solution and you won't need a "special" motherboard to do it.

Sure that will increase costs. But if I have to spend $1300 on an Nvidia SLi setup, why wouldn't I want to spend $1000 on an ATi Multi-GPU card solution if it was comparable? I'd get to use whatever motherboard I wish, and save on the overall cost of the system.

If I were ATi that's where I would prefer to go.

Elias said:
I would think that they'd lose money on a dual core design (at this point anyway). This would be because two .11nm cores on a single piece of silicon would have many more transistors and thus have much greater area than a single .13nm core. Thats alot of silicon for fewer GPUs. This is seemingly why the CPU manufacturers waited until .09nm was a reality before producing dual core CPUs.

Intel's already looking at a 65nm process for their multi-core CPU's. Not to say that's going to be reality when they start shipping, but that's what they are working on right now.

Aren't the current high end 16 pipe cards primarily memory bandwidth limited? How is ATI going to feed dual cores? Seems like doubling memory speed isn't really feasible.

Sir-Fragalot said:
ATi has experience with multiple GPU's on a card. But so does Nvidia after acquiring 3DFX's intellectual properties. That used to be the way things were done back in the day.

Multiple GPU's on one card could be a strong way for ATi to go vs. SLi. Think about it, you can start using the bandwidth of PCI-E and AGP 8x, right away and use a single slot solution and you won't need a "special" motherboard to do it.

Sure that will increase costs. But if I have to spend $1300 on an Nvidia SLi setup, why wouldn't I want to spend $1000 on an ATi Multi-GPU card solution if it was comparable? I'd get to use whatever motherboard I wish, and save on the overall cost of the system.

If I were ATi that's where I would prefer to go.

Intel's already looking at a 65nm process for their multi-core CPU's. Not to say that's going to be reality when they start shipping, but that's what they are working on right now.

I like your thinking, I mean ATI could charge like 2x X800Pro's, and it would still be on one vid card. But bet you it would be as long or bigger than the VooDoo6000 :eek:

They will not double speeds as of yet ...

They will decrease the speed of the cores and double the cores so 2 cores running at 480 or something and then the memory running at say 590 like the X850XT PE and up to 512mb

This would mean more memory double the core faster processing and better yet maybe some hard core threading which may mean better AA and AF

Since we already know that ATi has always been the leader in AA and AF. Their cards never took a performance hit like the nVidia cards. If they can conquer the dual core design they might easily be able to kill nVidia's SLI, performance wise and price wise !!

Multirendering might mean 2 cores rendering 2 different things at the same time so 1 core will only have to do half the work which allows for an easy performance boost (double) contrary to those who believe it's just an attempt from ATi to copy nVidia's SLI solution.

Maybe games might not be able to catch up with the performance boost those cards will achieve !!

This era is an interesting one where processors are constantly decreasing in size but at the same time increasing speed.

I can't wait to hear what ATi has in mind, their Catalyst ideas for the next year are already good ones. Can nVidia catch up and provide the same thing ATi is providing ?

They are on Microsoft's side so maybe they have more money than you guys think when it comes to funding !! Remember Bill Gates does not like to lose !!

Back