Is this what a switch is for????

LawGiver

2[H]4U
I have one Ethernet cable which is coming from a router in another room coming into my PC. I recently brought a work computer into my room and it also needs a connection. I could run another 50' cable from the other room into my room, but Id rather not. I just need to something to split up the cable I have now into two. Would something like this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166006

Yea, that will be sufficient for what you are wanting to do. If there's an uplink port on the switch when you get it, then plug the main cable coming from your router into it and then plug the two PCs into the other ports.

Yea, that will be sufficient for what you are wanting to do. If there's an uplink port on the switch when you get it, then plug the main cable coming from your router into it and then plug the two PCs into the other ports.

thats a good point. i was wondering where to put the main line, cause the switch i linked to has 5 ports are named LAN1-LAN5, which one do I put the main cable into?

ok so the switch i linked to above doesn't have an uplink port? where to plug the cable thats coming from the router into?

according to the description "can automatically sense if you are using straight-through or cross-over cables and adapt accordingly"

The above statement leads me to believe that you can plug the cable coming from your other router in without a crossover cable or an "uplink" port.

I'd be suspicious of how long this thing is going to last at $15 shipped, but if that's all you can afford, go for it.

I've had cheap switches die on me in 6 months... or worse yet, they work, but need to be rebooted once every 2 weeks or so... If you have the $$ go for something with a name brand + a warranty that is longer than a year.

most switches these days do not have uplink ports, they tend to be auto-sensing to determine what they are plugged into.

that'd be much better than the rosewill.

agreed.

however, the other switch showed in the pictures that all ports were auto-MDIX sensing. So, you basically wouldn't have to worry about what kind of cable was used.

Back