Is this video card dead?

oneil

Limp Gawd
Today some buddies and I had a little lan before classes start at the end of the week.. After about an hour of Counter-Strike (1.6), my monitor started flickering, going black then the image would stabilize for a minute. After a while, the whole thing just went dead. I was hosting the local server and everybody got disconnected.

My first assumption was that my 6yr old Dell CRT had seen the end, so I swapped it with a buddy's LCD. Lo and behold my heart sank when I saw "No Signal" appear on the screen.

Now, by all means my system is far from overheating. As per my sig, the CPU and GPU are watercooled and the highest the latter hits under load is something around 47C.

Since I put the watercooling in, I overclocked the GPU to 623/1310. By all means, for a GF 6600GT that's quite the boost (124%) over stock clocks. When the WC block went on, I realised I couldnt keep the stock ramsink without conflicting with the tubing so I took off the sink and put on smaller aftermarket sinks. At one point, I guess the tube caught on to the sink before the compound had hardened enough and it fell off. I was not able to put it back at that time (didnt have my compound with me) and ended up just keeping the sink in the case for whenever.

So today, would it be possible that the combination of boosted memory clocks, lack of a ramsink and demanding load has killed off one of the ram chips and is stopping the whole card from working? Or is there another reason why the monitors would receive no signal?

you could probablly tell if it was the card or not by burns or markings. this might be a hassle since your using watercooling but it wouldnt hurt to try it in anothor pc. if it doesnt then its surely dead. also anothor possibility is your psu.

I unfortunately dont have another computer to test it in... I'm using my laptop in the meantime. The PSU isint the cause for a couple of reasons:

- it's brand new...?
- the computer boots and blinks as usual, yet nothing shows up on screen

I took the card out and booted off the onboard (for which I removed the drivers when I installed the 6600GT) and it loads up an error saying "NTLDR is missing, press CTL+ALT+Delete".

Domini said:
i thought you had lans before classes is that not anothor computer to you?

I left early because there was no point in me staying another 7-9 hours without a computer to play on.. Regarding the NTLDR error, I started another thread in a more appropriate forum

Back