Is this upgrade worth it?

asguitarplaya

Limp Gawd
I've been thinking about upgrading my Motherboard and Cpu.
My current set up is:
Asus Sabortooth x58
Intel i7-950.

I have a brand new ASUS P8H77-M LE sitting in my closet, would using that MoBo be considered an upgrade?

Any help would be awesome.

You'll be able to upgrade to 1155 CPUs (2nd/3rd Gen) but you'll be limited in overclocking with the H77 Chipset if you do plan to overclock. If not its still considered an upgrade over 1st gen CPUs whether you get an i7/i5 2xxx or i7/i5 3xxx.

Other worth mentions would be PCIe 3.0, SATA 3, USB 3.0 etc... from motherboard features. (native intel that is, not 3rd party)

I don't plan on overclocking this time around I don't think.
As far as the spec comparisons, the ASUS P8H77-M LE has less PCIe 3.0, SATA 3 slots, but that's because it's an u-ATX board.
It does have UEFI Bios though.

I guess my main concern was going from a sabortooth motherboard to a non-sabortooth one.

You'll be able to upgrade to 1155 CPUs (2nd/3rd Gen) but you'll be limited in overclocking with the H77 Chipset if you do plan to overclock. If not its still considered an upgrade over 1st gen CPUs whether you get an i7/i5 2xxx or i7/i5 3xxx.

Other worth mentions would be PCIe 3.0, SATA 3, USB 3.0 etc... from motherboard features. (native intel that is, not 3rd party)

I don't plan on overclocking this time around I don't think.
As far as the spec comparisons, the ASUS P8H77-M LE has less PCIe 3.0, SATA 3 slots, but that's because it's an u-ATX board.
It does have UEFI Bios though.

I guess my main concern was going from a sabortooth motherboard to a non-sabortooth one.

Welp thats entirely up to you, you are jumping platforms here so for CPU you will see an upgrade and improvement and for motherboard you get native support for certain features and better chipset controller but since its an H77M/uATX motherboard you're limited in slots. Now if you are currently populating all the slots then the upgrade may not be for you or I would opt for a full sized ATX board if you really need it. But for someone like me, I went from a full size atx to matx motherboard and prefer using one video card over several and only use one of the pcie lanes for wifi and only use 2 SSDs and one external so that fits "my" needs.

If you don't overclock and don't populate all the slots then why not. But if you use all of them then moving to a motherboard with limited options wouldnt be advised and better off upgrading to a full sized platform instead.

Back