Is this true? Re: 24" - 30"+

colbert

n00b
I was reading some reviews and one review that recommended the Samsung 245B as a solid monitor mentioned that despite it being great, the 275T was kind of pointless to get since it is a 1920x1200 monitor and it's the same res, just at a bigger size.

Is this true and if so, does it apply to pretty much all larger than 24" models out there? I'm considering now waiting to save some more $$ and get a 26" or bigger if this is not the case, and it is worth it.

I'd say, for any new monitor, get at least 22". 24" if you can afford it. 24" will soon be the new sweet spot for $$ to size. Bigger than 24" you still pay a huge premium for the small gain in real estate.

I just picked up a new 24" and love it so far.

same resolution for monitors: (which could easily be found in the technical specifications..)
20,1'' to 22'' 1680x1050
23'' to 29.9'' 1920x1200
the 30'' are 2560x1600
some people like or need bigger pixels, there are also notebook displays with 1920x1200 resolution, but very few would consider them a adequate replacement for a 24'' display.

But the bigger difference between the 245B and 275T is the used panel type TN and PVA.

I was reading some reviews and one review that recommended the Samsung 245B as a solid monitor mentioned that despite it being great, the 275T was kind of pointless to get since it is a 1920x1200 monitor and it's the same res, just at a bigger size.

Is this true and if so, does it apply to pretty much all larger than 24" models out there? I'm considering now waiting to save some more $$ and get a 26" or bigger if this is not the case, and it is worth it.

get a 24 inch save up if you have to but DONT get the SAMSUNG 245b, its a TN panel, you want at least a PMVA panel on a 24 inch LCD, the LG246 has one and is only fifty bucks maybe a lil more than the 245b. You wont be happy with a TN panel on these larger lcd's, I strongly suggest to you that you DO NOT GO WITH A 22, they just dont compare to a 24 especially where the quality is concerned. You will be much happier with a 24.

Thanks guys, I am kind of torn now. I really like the Samsung 275t, I saw it and the LG 2146WP at Future Shop today. The cost difference is what I'm wondering about, if it would be worth it:

275t = $1139 w/tax
2146p = $685 w/tax

Are the extra 3" worth $450?

275T got a samsung pva overdrive.. probably input lag as bad as the 245T (~60ms),so unless you're gifted with the reflexes of a sloth and only like to look at colorful pictures, get the LG, or the 26'' planar.

275T got a samsung pva overdrive.. probably input lag as bad as the 245T (~60ms),so unless you're gifted with the reflexes of a sloth and only like to look at colorful pictures, get the LG, or the 26'' planar.

So the LG has less input lag than the 275t?

I am not a gamer at all anymore, only the occasional Q3 nowadays. I really only want it for watching movies and use as a PC monitor.

I saw the LG directly above the 275t at Future Shop and spent about 15 mins tinkering with settings on both, and the Samsung's picture was just way more vibrant and crisp. Size difference aside, LG had the menu option to turn off the power button light, which is neat when watching movies in the dark.

Also the Planar is like $1500 with taxes at Tiger Direct here. It's just too much, I'm even reaching deep thinking about the Samsung (but I really like it).

And would it maybe be better to get 2 LGs than 1 Samsung? 2 LGs = only $200 more than the Samsung.

Argh, can't decide lol... :confused:

The samsung probably displays all images 2 to 3 frames later than the LG which lags about one frame compared to a CRT,
but I'm not 100% sure if it does lag as much, if you weren't bothered by the lag when testing the monitor you'll probably be happy with normal pc use. the vibrancy is likely cause the 275T has got a wide color gamut backlight like the newer -hc dell monitors.

The 245B was just reviewed on trustedreviews.com and it only received a 6/10 for image quality.

The 275T is nice looking monitor, but if you are going to sit 10" from it, get a 24" like the 245T (not out in the U.S. yet), the 2407WFP-HC, or the LG you looked at. All have way better image quality than the 245B and only cost $100 or so more.

The 275T is overkill for a desktop monitor unless you'll spend the bulk of your time sitting 4.5 - 6 feet away from the display watching movies. Movies at a display that size @ 10" is like watching a movie at the theater in the front row. If you like craning your neck or just like neck exercises, then it's your monitor.

I have the 2407WFP-HC and I think the image is excellent and the size is about as big as you can handle from 10" away.

ssbihli,

That's a good point. I just measured my desk to where I sit and where the monitor will be, and it'll be about 2.5-3 feet from me, and I sit back when watching movies so it'll be about 3.5 feet at least.

I'm going to buy both monitors this weekend and test them out. At least I can no hassle return them to Best Buy/Future Shop. I'll keep the one that does it for me.

Thanks guys, I am kind of torn now. I really like the Samsung 275t, I saw it and the LG 2146WP at Future Shop today. The cost difference is what I'm wondering about, if it would be worth it:

275t = $1139 w/tax
2146p = $685 w/tax

Are the extra 3" worth $450?

not especially, the samsing has a SPVA panel the LG has a PMVA panels which is better than the SPVA, sort of a happy medium between the SPVA and the SIPS. for 1100 bucks you could be looking at other larger panels or better quality ones or buy two of the LG246's lol

The samsung probably displays all images 2 to 3 frames later than the LG which lags about one frame compared to a CRT,
but I'm not 100% sure if it does lag as much, if you weren't bothered by the lag when testing the monitor you'll probably be happy with normal pc use. the vibrancy is likely cause the 275T has got a wide color gamut backlight like the newer -hc dell monitors.

I dont see wider color gamut as being a premium deciding factor, it's not well supported and wont be for some time yet although it doesnt hurt im sure.

not especially, the samsing has a SPVA panel the LG has a PMVA panels which is better than the SPVA, sort of a happy medium between the SPVA and the SIPS. for 1100 bucks you could be looking at other larger panels or better quality ones or buy two of the LG246's lol

Yes 2 LG246's is exactly what I am thinking, to replace my dual CRTs. Thanks for the info on the panel, that is helpful.

What do you mean for 1100 bucks I could be looking at other panels of same/bigger size/quality? Which ones do you have in mind? I'd love to see other options.

I am not a gamer at all anymore, only the occasional Q3 nowadays. I really only want it for watching movies and use as a PC monitor.

I saw the LG directly above the 275t at Future Shop and spent about 15 mins tinkering with settings on both, and the Samsung's picture was just way more vibrant and crisp. Size difference aside, LG had the menu option to turn off the power button light, which is neat when watching movies in the dark.

Also the Planar is like $1500 with taxes at Tiger Direct here. It's just too much, I'm even reaching deep thinking about the Samsung (but I really like it).

And would it maybe be better to get 2 LGs than 1 Samsung? 2 LGs = only $200 more than the Samsung.

You really do need the westy my friend lol. For $600 you can snag 2 24" Soyo in the hot deals forum!

Its hard to make a call on a monitor you arent looking at right in front of you, besides those monitors on display arent calibrated and often have vastly different settings and run off of one computer that doesnt display them at native resolution anyhow.

Back