Is this too much voltage?

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
its taken me 2.85vdim up from the 2.6 stock to get my Corsair CMX1024-3200PT to get to 228Mhz @3-3-3-8 1T (stock timing). But get this, it fails prime Large FFT after an hour or so, but when i raise the timings to 3-4-4-8 1T it fails within a few minutes? I dont get it... Is this voltage safe for everyday use or should i go back to using a memory divider? Anyone have any ideas as to why raising the timings isnt helping?

that's the 1gb stick right? 228mhz is beyond my expectations of what it'll typically overclock to :p

just set it in such a way that you're not sacrificing cpu speed for the ram

pffffff 2.85V is nothing for memory. Typically 3.2V is the max recommended without additional cooling. If you want to try and stabalize it at that speed, then sure, throw some additional vdimm at it. (if your board goes higher...I hate how most mobos only give up to 2.8/2.85V. god bless my SLi-DR)

But as eclipse mentioned, overall cpu clock is the driving force to A64's. Using a divider to stabalize the box will hardly affect real-world performance, so don't be afraid to use one if necessary.

It is not uncommon for Corsair memory to require more voltage than they advertise, but expecting a 1gig module to OC.....thats not likely to get much better since 1gig dimms don't OC well, I'd clock it down to 217 and enjoy the slight OC and stability. I doubt you will have any issues running your memory at 2.85V, just be sure you have adequate airflow.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
pffffff 2.85V is nothing for memory. Typically 3.2V is the max recommended without additional cooling.

Depends on what type of memory it is. Using 3.2V is pointlessly high for pretty much everything except Winbond chips. And of course you never want to run the voltage gratuitously higher if it's not necessary to maintain stability.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
pffffff 2.85V is nothing for memory. Typically 3.2V is the max recommended without additional cooling
i know ash just spoke about this, but i feel i should drive the point home..

the winbond stuff is one of 3 types of ram i know of that likes that much voltage. let's go through the list that i know of off the top of my head (basically i'm gonna exclude hynix and infineon)

winbond:
BH: give it as much as you can! haha, i think i'd stop around 3.5-3.6v for 24/7 use
CH: since it's a smaller process, it seems to fail faster than BH, but it tends to scale better after giving it more voltage initially. 3.3-3.5v should be good here

micron:
5b C: from my experience, this stuff will take a bunch of voltage, but doesn't really scale all that much past ~3.0-3.1v
5b G: basically the same as 5b C, but a touch less voltage happy on average, 2.9-3v is plenty, unless you're doing some hardcore stuff
5b D: high density ram.. typically doesn't like more than 2.8v, with some rare exceptions.

samsung:
tccd/tcc5: 2.7-2.9v is good here, with 3v pushing it with some rare exceptions

ashmedai said:
Depends on what type of memory it is. Using 3.2V is pointlessly high for pretty much everything except Winbond chips. And of course you never want to run the voltage gratuitously higher if it's not necessary to maintain stability.

Of course. I wasn't saying to raise the voltage for no reason. I was just saying that, if he wanted to, more voltage wouldn't cause any harm. It may not help, but certainly won't hurt up until at least 3.1-3.2V or so.

BTW I typically run Geil sticks, and they LOVE voltage, so I'm often apt to feed a lot of Vdimm. Of course, some nice TCCD sticks don't take nearly that much. I'm not sure exactly what chips my Geil PC4000 Ultra Plats have, but they scale well up into the 3.2V+ range. Highest I've gone is 3.5V.

Dude it's not going to kill your RAM.

And anyone's best guess is still going to default to "try it and see" which is why I told you that maybe it'd work and that you needed to try it to find out. :p

Note that if you have crappy airflow the above is less of a good idea...as long as you take reasonable measures to make sure it doesn't go chernobyl though it's not going to be a problem from a purely electrical standpoint.

Do what you can with what you've got...get the booster later if you still want to play with it.

ashmedai said:
Do what you can with what you've got...get the booster later if you still want to play with it.
agreed. remember that ram speed has very little effect on overall performance for a64's

Back