• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this safe? 9800GTX touching case

rverhas

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
102
pictureofcrampedcase.jpg


I just got my card today, thought I could squeeze it in a mid tower case. It fits, barely. There is about a 1mm gap between the card and the hard drive cage. I am worried about air flow to the processor and RAM. I guess I could get a full tower, but I can't find many that don't look like a damn spaceship. I also thought about mounting the HDDs in the 3.5 expansion bays, but the blank bay cover wont allow me to mount them and leave the cover on. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
 
You should actually be fine, as long as there aren't metallic traces on the card touching other metal it is ok. From the looks of this it seems that just the heatsink shroud is touching the harddrive cage which again is probably ok.

As for airflow, i wouldn't worry about it as it is unlikely that the intake fan was actually pushing air to the ram and processor before the card. If you are really that worried about it you could always get a 2x5.25 bay fan enclosure that will match your lianli just fine.
 
i dont think its gonna do anything tbh... if ur that paranoid about it then wrap a little strip of electrical tape around the cage where the card touches it.. it only looks like the plastic shroud is touching it... if thats the case then just forget about it
 
Looks fine from what I can see, Kaos said what I was pretty much thinking. Maybe you can use this to get a larger case ;)
 
From the looks of it the top of the case might be a little low on the airflow.
 
From the looks of it the top of the case might be a little low on the airflow.

It has an 80 mm fan on the top, but I could possibly put a couple 80mm in the front. Though, if I did that I would have to put new bay covers on to let the air in.
 
The 80mm pushes out on top, right?

Yeah, out the top and the back fan pulls in. There is a duct that goes on the back fan that directs it to the CPU, I just haven't installed it because I haven't got my processor yet.
 
I had a Lian-li PC-61 and had the exact same problem with my 9800GTX (though it wasn't really a problem per se). However I found a full tower rocketfish for under $50, problem solved. :)

On topic, no you shouldn't worry about it.
 
Back
Top