Is this possible?

Domingow

2[H]4U
Greetings,

I am currently running 2 desktops both with an onboard sound solution. I use one rig as a gaming hi-end workstation, and the other as a file server, print server, media player (TV, and win amp mostly) .I am in the market for replacing my existing computer speakers on both my desktop’s to something from the Swan line possibly in or around the 200$ price point. My existing speaker setup consists of logicrap Z560 4.1 and Boston acoustics 2.1 something or other from a circa 1995 gateway desktop purchase.

My question is this:
Is it possible to combine the sound output of both desktops into one set of speakers? I would like to splurge a little and get a good set of swan speakers, however I want the option to run multiple sources (at the same time) into one set of speakers. If this is possible please let me know, thanks!

If you run one computer's audio out into the other's line-in, you should be able to achieve this effect.

If you run one computer's audio out into the other's line-in, you should be able to achieve this effect.

Yes, this is what I do. All you have to do is make sure that one PC is always on, place it at the end of the chain, and you'll always have audio from both. This works for me because I have one low-power media computer I leave on 24/7, and the other box is for work/gaming.

I have to use a special program now that I replaced my second PC with a Mac Mini - I have to use LineIn, because by-default OS X doesn't support through audio.

An alternative: my M-AUDIO AV 40 speakers have multiple inputs, and if you hook-up multiple sources it will mix them together inside the speaker itself. I don't know if the Swans can do this. The advantage of this is, you don't have to elect one computer to be on all the time; you can use whichever computer you want, when you want.

Back