is this possible? sharing programs in network?

CAS

n00b
I have about 15 computers networked in my business, and on my main computer, i have a certain accounting program. Thing is, I cannot find the cd for it and load it on the other computers. Is it possible to run this program from other networked computers without loading the software into them/?

So I guess what I"m asking is, Is there a way for me to access my main computer and run programs from it, from other networked comps?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

If it's just you, you could use VNC... but that option is out if anyone ever uses the "server"... and/or if more than one user at a time were wanting to use the program.....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Most of the big software packages can run in some form of network mode - although often there needs to be a small 'client' side install first. What you should really be asking is what is the license for the software - if it is a single install license then you can only have it installed and running on a single PC, and saying three users all use it a different time, so no one uses it at the same time does not count.

Also if it is accounts based then really it should be in some form of server client mode such that there is a single data source. But again you may find that your original license only covered you for single client and that more client licenses are required to be purchased.

Map a drive and try it but the likelihood is that it will not work natively. Most setup.exe's add registry entries that the program parses not to mention it may also install system files. You could export all of the keys, edit them to point to the mapped drive and cross your fingers as well as copying any critical system files it copies to the system32 directory. Easy enough to try without worrying about that. Just share the folder with the exectuable, map a drive from the remote app and hit the exe. However, as mentioned you will need licensing covered for each machine.

Why don't you call the company and see if they'll ship out another disk for you?

Back