Is this possible? Lian Li.

Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
582
I want the most silent computer possible. so I did some research on high quality cases (lian li specifically) and found this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112148

If you look at this picture

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...scription=LIAN LI PC-B25B Black Computer Case

Is it possible to put a radiator in place of those 2 fans? Like if I remove the harddrive cage?

I understand that It won't have the best capability as far as watercooling goes especially with the airflow coming in, but what can I expect?

I'm going primarily for silence at the moment.. but also performance..


I also would like to know your personal opinion. I hear that Pa120.2 are one of the best, but I also here black ice can outperform thermochill in many scenarios..

I'm trying to go for the best performance vs cost vs sound, any suggestions?
 
It looks to me like there's just barely enough room for (2) 120mm fans. Those Thermochill radiators are oversized when it comes to reference design, so it will take up more space than you think, plus you have to take into account the barb area where the hoses connect.

What you could do is go with a smaller designed 120.2 radiator, then remove that 3.5'' slot above the drive racks. It should have just enough room to clear it. I'd wait for someone else to comment that actually owns the case before you buy anything though.
 
I have the Lian Li PC A16, a bit different but it has those two holes on the back. They perfectly fit a Black Ice. I have 2 Black Ice Extreme GTX's, one right there in the back, and one up front.

a double size SHOULD fit.

Watercooling_017.JPG


It seems like a double tall would fit there. But, you have to add the extra height of the end tanks and barbs.

PS: That's a beautiful case.
 
interesting, so that means there is a possibility that the case i want can support a 2.120 rad?

awesome
 
It will not be as simple as one might think. If you look at how the fans are placed, bottom fan is snug against the bottom of the case. That leaves no room for the plenum chamber of the rad. See image.

b25015.jpg


You could try to move the fans up to make enough clearance on the bottom. You will loose the 3 1/2 in. bay and 1 of the 5 1/2 in. bays.

Or you could cut a hole in the bottom of the case to let the rad drop down. You will need a shroud to push the rad back past the feet to make that idea work thou.

As far as the rad goes, if you want silence AND performance get the Thermochill. Oh and replace the case fans too.
 
do Lian Li's typically have the ability to remove such trays? Or would it require cutting things out?

Also does anyone have this case something similar, I would like to know the measurements from top to bottom so I can see what I will need to sacrifice in order for this to work.

I'm sure I can find it, but if its no trouble to ask for the measurements from top to bottom of the pa 120.2, itd be very appreciative.

I can live with just 2 5.25" bays, 1 being my Harddrive and the other my Blu ray dvd writer.

Alright guys, keep the comments coming and your input.

It's helping me alot, and if you have a better suggestion for a watercooling setup to cool my CPU and my VGA, please don't hesitate to speak up.

Thanks a bunch so far guys!
 
Also I hear that the He120.2 is a bit smaller, do you think taht might get the job done? But I also hear its worse = /
 
I'm going to venture and say it would require drilling out some rivets. All the Lian-Li cases I've seen, including my A05, they're built that way. The good news is, it's easy to fix if you want it back to the way it was. Just get some small 3mm machined bolts and screw it back on.

What you could do is just get the other kind of Lian-Li hard drive racks that holds 3 drives, and put it sideways in the bottom of the case behind the radiator/fan assembly. That would be incase you do lose a centimeter or so of your bottom 5.25 bay as well.
 
The PA 120.2 is [LxWxD (mm)] 304x128x61 ( 11.97 x 5.04 x 2.4 inches) . Thats from Danger Den.

You don't want to get the HE series. A Swiftech or Danger Den would work just as good with low speed fans, maybe even better.


You could mount a PA 120.1 out back and one up front and save alot of headaches
 
I'm not sure if i can explain this well but I will try.

You will need the PA 120.2 and the shroud.

Remove the front case fans.

Mount the shround where the fans were by moving it up one set of holes.

There would only be one set of holes lined up properly instead of 8. These would be the top two of the lower fan (on the shroud) into the bottom 2 of the top fan on the case. Have lost anyone yet?

Now you could secure the shroud with short bolt and washers to the case with 4 of the remaining 6 holes on the shroud.

The top 2 could only work if you drilled 2 holes for them in the case.

Now for the easy part.

Mount the fans on the rad to pull.

Mount the rad to the shroud and done.

By doing this you gain the clearance on the bottom to fit.

If I totally lost you tell me.
 
well i kind of understand, but unfortunately looks like i wont be able to upgrade for quite a bit.. so anything beyond this point is a bit useless..

i'll remake the topic when its time.

thank you everyone so much for your time, im glad i have people that i know can help.
 
Back
Top