is this possible? [cisco router w/ linksys dd-wrt)

SYN ACK

[H]ard|Gawd
current:

isp --> linksys W56GL or whatever running dd-wrt --> wireless --> my pc.

the thing doesnt handle lots of concurrent TCP (torrent) connections, so I was looking at either upgrading my home router, or implementing a cisco 1721 that i have now.

the cisco 1721 only has one (1) 10/100mbit interface, but it is dot1q capable.

i haven't thought this through too much, just throwing it out there..would it be possible...

cable modem --> linksys switch (public VLAN)
linksys switch (dot1q trunked) --> cisco 1721 F0 (dot1q trunked) functioning as a router on a stick

and have the public IP on the public VLAN on the cisco 1721, and then also do NAT/routing on a private VLAN...and have the dot1q link going back to the linksys switch (have the linksys function as a switch/wireless bridge only)?

looks like the linksys dd-wrt will have to support 802.1q trunking (to trunk to the cisco 1721), but is this possible?

-----------------------------------

the 1721 would be functioning as a 'router-on-a-stick', and i would put the connection from the modem on a seperate VLAN from the other ports/wireless interface - and have the connection from the cisco 1721 router be dot1q trunked with both VLANs to handle routing/nat.

You can probably do it but you'll need to have a managed switch that is capable of doing VLANs. Say plug in the internets to a port on VLAN10 then have your LAN devices plugged into ports on VLAN20. Router goes on a trunk port. Set the fa0/0.10 interface to dhcp with the set-route option and then NAT overload. Should work.

right - i know the dd-wrt can do vlans - but i have to check to see if it can do a dot1q trunked port.

right - i know the dd-wrt can do vlans - but i have to check to see if it can do a dot1q trunked port.

IIRC you need to create two vlans, each with their respective ports and then you need to create one port shared between the vlans. You can use VLAN sharing or Trunking to this port which connects the router depending on what your switch and router supports.

Back