Is this normal?

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2000
Messages
1,276
Bigadv VM is downloading new core at 10240 bytes every minute or two.
 
Havnt run one yet but if it hasn't started crunching within 30 minutes ofstarting the VM I'd say it's not normal
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Now getting Core Download error.. boooooo. I was really looking forward to finally turning up my Bigadv box.
 
Not normal. A lot slower that it should be. Heavy server traffic? restart the VM?

Not sure if this may be related but my basic $19.99/mo DSL service comes to a grinding halt when -advmethods is uploading a 22 MB WU. It kills my download speed during the upload process. I'm to cheap to upgrade to a high upload speed. :D
 
You need a better router. Faster upload will help to be sure, but a good router (running untangle, monowall, or the like) is a must with these oversized WU.
 
Restarted the VM. It's just sitting at * Downloading new core: FahCore_a2.exe, so not downloading anything right now.
 
Could very well be a problem on Stanford's side. There are numerous servers with very high net-loads at the moment and a couple servers that are down. I've also noted a couple posts this morning and last night from a few people who are having problems extracting other cores as well. Not sure what is going on but there is some lag at Stanford today.
 
The Stanford site is down at the moment.

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
 
Looks like it is back up, but my dual xeon box running CentOS got a linux A1 WU. I have never seen one of those. Very odd.
 
You need a better router. Faster upload will help to be sure, but a good router (running untangle, monowall, or the like) is a must with these oversized WU.

Hmm, I'll put that on the wish list. Using an 4 year old Linksys Wireless router.
 
Hmm, I'll put that on the wish list. Using an 4 year old Linksys Wireless router.

I'm building an untangle box rite now.... if you where looking for something I have a soekris board that I've been running MonoWall on for over a year. If I get my untangle box up, I'd be willing to sell it fairly cheap to a fellow folder. (with flash card and PSU and monowall installed)

http://www.soekris.com/net4521.htm

If you want a dedicated router, this is probably the cheapest way to go if you can find one of their boards used.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top