Is This Normal? - Keyboard & Mouse Not Working

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Installed a new CPU and Motherboard onto an existing Windows 7 machine. Windows loads up but the keyboard and mouse do not work. The keyboard lights up but doesn't respond, while the mouse has no power at all. The keyboard functions fine in the BIOS.

I plan to freshly reinstall Windows 7 once I can backup my data but is this normal?

Thanks

once in windows try unplugging both and plugging them back in one at a time?

What CPU and Mobo? I imagine it's not the one in your sig.
What kb and mouse? Needs more info.

I'm guessing it is Windows not loading the drivers correctly. Did this happen before you installed the chipset drivers or after? Also, are your KB and mouse usb or PS/2?

once in windows try unplugging both and plugging them back in one at a time?

Didn't help

What CPU and Mobo? I imagine it's not the one in your sig.
What kb and mouse? Needs more info.

Intel Core i5 2500 (1155) with Gigabyte PH67A-UD3-B3 motherboard. Mouse is a Logitech MX518 (USB) and keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse II (USB)

I'm guessing it is Windows not loading the drivers correctly. Did this happen before you installed the chipset drivers or after?

I am unable to get the chipset drivers installed as the keyboard and mouse do not respond in Windows 7 or safe mode. I also don't have a working CD/DVD drive at the moment as this one is ATA and the motherboard has no ATA slot.

Last edited:
Didn't help

Intel Core i5 2500 (1155) with Gigabyte PH67A-UD3-B3 motherboard. Mouse is a Logitech MX518 (USB) and keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse II (USB)

I am unable to get the chipset drivers installed as the keyboard and mouse do not respond in Windows 7 or safe mode. I also don't have a working CD/DVD drive at the moment as this one is ATA and the motherboard has no ATA slot.

Yes...but are you using USB kb and mouse or ps/2? You didn't say. This could be lack of USB because of chipset drivers. Try using PS/2.

Yes...but are you using USB kb and mouse or ps/2? You didn't say. This could be lack of USB because of chipset drivers. Try using PS/2.

I did say whether I use a USB or PS/2 mouse and keyboard, please read my message again and you will see I put in brackets USB.

I got a friends PS/2 keyboard here and it works in Windows, it's just the USB that don't. Is this corrupted USB drivers? I can't install motherboard drivers from disc until this SATA disc drive arrives.

I wouldn't say corrupted rather then possibly not loaded by Windows due to possible lack of chipset installation. Is this your only PC? If not, can you hook the hard drive to another PC to copy the install files to the disk and then move the hard drive back. This would allow you to install directly from the c: drive. Otherwise, you may have to go to the manufacturers website and download the latest chipset. This is of course assuming you also can borrow a PS/2 mouse or navigate the website by keyboard alone. And this assumes that you have network adapters installed.

Have you tried legacy USB support in BIOS?

Also, I've seen systems where mouse and KB only work in specific ports...

I tried different USB ports, none work in Windows, only BIOS. I used a PS/2 mouse and Windows work fine. Device Manager says there are missing drivers for LAN and USB. I have a SATA DVD drive coming, allowing me to install chipset drivers via disc, I'm sure this will solve it. This is not my own PC.

Thanks all!

Well...as YOU mentioned, you found the problem. If device manager says missing drivers for USB, then that solved the issue. Let us know how things turn out once you get the optical drive hooked up.

I am using a PS/2 mouse and on-screen keyboard to type this as I have no USB functionality at all within Windows 7 x64 (Fine in DOS). This is the result of replacing a motherboard and CPU while still using the existing Windows 7 installation, there seems to be corruption of files relating to USB. I will reformat and install 7 if I cannot fix this. There are yellow exclamation marks beside the USB controller in device manager which won’t resolve.

Here is a list of things I’ve tried:

• Installed chipset drivers from motherboard CD
  • Installed chipset drivers from motherboard website
  • Updated BIOS to latest F3 revision
  • Ran Intel Driver Update Utility
  • Replaced USB files found in system 32/drivers with ones from 7 CD
  • Uninstalled USB devices & controllers from device manager and rebooted
  • Uninstalled older, hidden USB devices & controllers from device manager using the SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 command and USBDeview utility
  • Made sure things like legacy USB and USB 3 were enabled within BIOS
  • Ran Windows update
  • Ran update Windows from 7 CD so it reinstalls Windows while keeping your files/programs etc (but installation failed)
  • Ran chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow (problems found but didn’t say what problems)
See screenshots below:

usbproblem1.jpg

inteldriverupdateutilit.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I am posting to say I have fixed the problem. I uninstalled the ATI graphics card drivers (including CCC) and rebooted, the USB drivers now work! I've since reinstalled the ATI graphics card drivers and all is fine.

Anyone know what happened? Why would Catalyst drivers cause the USB drivers to stop working?

I'm guessing its because ATI also has drivers for chipsets and possibly tried loading something. I've seen similar things, but had never really had this specific occurrence. This is good to know. Thanks for posting your findings.

No problem Gilthanis, hopefully someone in the future will read this thread and also fix their problem!

I found this thread helpful to a point where the original poster had a work around, a PS/2 adapter/connectivity to his rig.

I have the exact same scenario but have NO such connectivity - all inputs are USB.

So, the pickle is this: after doing some driver updates, things were working, rebooted - dead (that is, just the windows recognized USB inputs (no mouse, nor keyboard - I can't login)
Of course, the USB inputs are recognized in BIOS and are enabled and my laser mouse's light comes on, stays on, then goes off when Windows takes over.

So my question is this, anybody have any advice so I can get my USB ports working again?

Noting that:

1. The current rig is a modified HP Pavillion- running Win7 Home Premium. I do not have any backup of this OS [ I do have an copy of Win7 Enterprise ]

2. I do not wish to overwrite the current installation as I have important data in the c:\Programs..., etc locations

3. I have tried all the F8 options (safe boot, last known good configuration, etc.)

4. I have removed all cards and found no workarounds, I've even left the power supply unplugged for an hour (or so)

5. Ideally, and I don't think there is such an option, for a CD to boot up and replace/remove my USB drivers - allowing Win7 to use the defaults.

Only guessing here as I am not a power user, more of lite power skills type.

Thanks for any direction that can help me get back on track!

Michael

Michael, same thing I suggested earlier: some computers (I think some HP desktops) only work with the mouse and keyboard plugged into the top USB ports at the back of the system. Apart from that, make sure you have legacy usb enabled in bios.

Thanks for the reply, Tawnos.

I have tried all the usb ports on the box. No object (controllers, drivers, keyboards, mice, etc get recognized (via lights, visual cues)

There is no 'Legacy' mention for USB ports in bios. There is a conventional USB selection that allows me to enable/disable - I've disabled and enabled all - no luck there either.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back