Is this normal for WHS?

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
Jet setup my first whs box, but before I start filling it with data, I want to make sure this is normal? I know you're not supposed to use the console of the server for anything, and the WHS console shows all normal, but this still caught my attention...
Capture.PNG.jpg

What do you think?

Makes sense.

To keep it from not letting you copy more files into drive D, on the first drive of the set, it shows the total drive size of all combined drives free space as the free space. Since the first drive is smaller than that, and it subtracts free space from total disk size to arrive at remaining space, the remaining space numbers are negative. The disk space reporting tool was not rewriten from scratch to display negative values. It was not designed to display negative numbers for used space, after all, in any situation other than disks being aggregated as WHS does used space can never be less than zero. Since it isn't written to handle it, it goes to gobbledygook.

After all, you are told all administrative functions can be performed through the console, which actually always gives an correct description of the configuration as seen by the users and the drive extender system.

Text of warning included below for those who may not have a home server.

"CAUTION
You are logged on to the Windows Home Server desktop. Many standard Windows Server administration tools available from this desktop can break Windows Home Server.

Read the Release Documentation before you use any tool on this desktop and proceed with caution.

To avoid potential problems, use the Windows Home Server Console on a home computer. You can perform all administrative tasks using the Home Server Console."

The relevant portion of the release documentation (WHS_ReleaseDocs_RTM.doc) in regards to breaking WHS with normal tools reads as follows:

"Tools that can break your home server
Below is a partial list of tools that can break your home server. Avoid using these tools:
· Disk Manager
Windows Home Server is a powerful system that automatically manages your hard drives for you. Almost any change you make with Disk Manager causes the storage system on your home server to fail, possibly resulting in data loss.
· Windows Explorer
If you want to access files that are in shared folders, always access them via the shared folder name (\\server\SharedFolderName). If you browse the file system via the Administrator's Desktop, you will discover multiple places where you might think your data is stored, but your data is likely stored elsewhere. Accessing \\server\SharedFolderName or \\localhost\SharedFolderName from the Administrator’s Desktop results in no performance hit and ensures that things work correctly.
Do not use standard tools to manually create, delete, or change properties of shared folders. If you want to configure shared folders, use the Windows Home Server Console from your home computer.
· Computer Management, Shared Folders
Windows Home Server automatically manages the shared folders on your home server. Do not modify the underlying configuration of the shared folders that Windows Home Server manages. Creating shared folders outside of the Windows Home Server Console is not supported.
· User Manager
Windows Home Server automatically manages user accounts. Do not modify the underlying properties of users or groups in the User Manager snap-in. Creating users outside of the Windows Home Server Console is not supported.
"

Back