Is this normal for a PSU?

Ghostface Killah

Limp Gawd
Is this normal activity for a PSU? Especially an Antec one.

This is what happens: When I instantly connect the power cord to the back of the PSU the computer turns on. If I plug in the power cord to a surge protector the computer turns on.
Is this normal?

Could be a switch issue, could even be a mobo prob.

Try the supply on something else, let us know :)

microcosm13 said:
Could be a switch issue, could even be a mobo prob.

Try the supply on something else, let us know :)

Well this has happened to two PSU.
I am trying to fix a problem on my computer and I thought it was the PSU, so I replaced it with a Antec Neo 480 and it didnt fix the comp problem and the connect the power cord the comp turns on problem still persisted.

Errrr

no the front switch that you use to turn it on.

Make sure its not connected wrong etc.

It's totally normal. Check your BIOS settings.

^^Problem is the machine isn't posting. At least thats what I thought, thats correct Ghostface?

Ok so we can rule out a bios setting.

Two PSUs will safely narrow it out.

Stripped it down to mobo/cpu/ram vid?

No beeps?

Not posting? Sheesh. Sorry, but I just didn't get that from the problem description. I thought you were complaining that the computer always turned on when you pluged it in when you wanted it to stay off.

Can someone tell me how to get "not posting" out of this text?

Ghostface Killah said:
Is this normal activity for a PSU? Especially an Antec one.

This is what happens: When I instantly connect the power cord to the back of the PSU the computer turns on. If I plug in the power cord to a surge protector the computer turns on.
Is this normal?

^^You missed the thread yesterday where we were talking about it.

Midway through I noticed his nick in my subscribed. ;)

This is an power supply question.

I have an Antec Neo Power 480 power supply. You can choose which cords you want to use and it works great. Though, In one of the cords with three of the power connecters, I connected a dvd drive and a dvd burner AND two fans + the floppy drive molex thing.
So is it safe to connect two fans and one floppy molex from only one power supply conector?

The wires can handle the amperage just fine.

Just don't do that when supplying power to a video card or a cold cathode. Keep the power "clean." ;)

jonnyGURU said:
The wires can handle the amperage just fine.

Just don't do that when supplying power to a video card or a cold cathode. Keep the power "clean." ;)
I have no idea what a cold cathode is but the Neo Power has a special cord just for my PCI-E video card so I am set :D

In the BIOS setup, in the menu for power saving settings, is there a setting for something like "Power on after power failure"? If it's active, then the computer will turn on immediately when it's plugged in.

...Then they came to the grave. It was a cave with a stone rolled across its entrance. “Roll the stone aside,” Jesus told them. But Martha, the dead man’s sister, said, “Lord, by now the smell will be terrible because he has been dead for four days.”

Back