Is this normal for a CPU?

Seraphic

2[H]4U
I JUST received a replacement RMA cpu back from newegg for an AMD X3 720, it was in a sealed retail box. Problem is, soon as I removed it from the box I noticed on all four sides of the rim of the cpu (not top, but top does have a smudge of some-short that won't clean off), there one long scratch that kind of looks like glue/chipping-metal/scratches all in one (this is on all four sides of the cpu, two sides are much worse then the other two). Tried to clean it, but would not come off, and I don't have a high definition camera to take any detailed images. Anyone that looks at the CPU can see what I am talking about though. I do not recall the previous CPU that this one replaced or any CPU I have seen having anything like this. :confused:

Last edited:
HD camera? Do you have any digital camera 2.1mp or higher? If so, just take a macro shot. Pictures are worth a thousand words, especially in this case. :p

All I have is a 1.3mp one and pictures come out blurry, not good for detailed images.

That is not normal, something is wrong with it. Send it back for RMA and hope you get an undamaged CPU back. It's hard to tell without being able to see it, but maybe the bot that was stamping the plate on dented in the edges.

Yeah, talking to NewEgg now for an RMA.
Only thing I could do is put it on its side on my scanner for a detailed image, lol.

Got the RMA today, but has the same issue on all four sides again. I don't have any form a camera to take an image, but here is the best one I could find online that appears to have the same thing. So is it normal then? Notice the side of the CPU rim has like a long scratch type mark on the whole side? On my CPU, that mark is on all four sides of the CPU rim.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/JonnyMark/CIMG2845.jpg?t=1245857336

I think it may just be metal stretch marks from stamping the heat spreader. Nothing to worry about.

I updated the image. It looks JUST like what is seen in the image inside the red line.
Long scratch like seen below, goes all the way around all four sides the AMD PII X3 720 CPU rim.

asdasadads.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that would be a problem. If it was on the surface of the CPU, where it is supposed to make contact with the heatsink, then I might be inclined to RMA it (or lap it smooth).

In that location, I can't see scratches causing any harm.

I don't think that would be a problem. If it was on the surface of the CPU, where it is supposed to make contact with the heatsink, then I might be inclined to RMA it (or lap it smooth).

In that location, I can't see scratches causing any harm.

Already did RMA it, replacement looked the same way.

Got the RMA today, but has the same issue on all four sides again. I don't have any form a camera to take an image, but here is the best one I could find online that appears to have the same thing. So is it normal then? Notice the side of the CPU rim has like a long scratch type mark on the whole side? On my CPU, that mark is on all four sides of the CPU rim.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/JonnyMark/CIMG2845.jpg?t=1245857336

Pretty cool how that guy's got his fingers all over the CPU pins.

Back