Is this macbook fixable? is it worth it

Malbadawi

Limp Gawd
i got an offer locally for a macbook model # MB403LL/A for only 200, the reason he is selling it for 200, is that he spilt coffee onto the trackpad that it effected it internally and now the macbook wont take the battery and if you use a battery the macbook goes to sleep, but it works fine if you just plug in the power cable, and the only other problem is on the monitor there are some discoloration in the bottom right corner. so what do you guys think? Is it fixable? Is it worth the 200? Btw he is not including the hdd. Any help would be great!

I don't think it's worth it. You'll need at least a new power management module (if your model has one that is separate from the systemboard) and trackpad uppers. Unclear what you'd need to do to fix the display, would need more info to diagnose that. Add in the cost of a hard drive, and potential for needing a new systemboard and display components, and you're looking at being right at the cost of just buying a working one used.

but lets say i just buy it and use it as is without fixing it, note that only the battery and the bottom right corner that has problems. also for the harddrive wont a standard notebook sata hdd work?

depending on what you want to do with it, you could just treat it as a $200 mac desktop. making it an operating laptop probably wont be worth it though..

I say this is a bad deal.

1.) The only "circuit" on the inside of this computer is the logic board (motherboard). When something spills on the polycarbonate macbooks, the slope of the case causes it to settle on the bottom left side near the firewire port. The battery cable/sleep switch connects right here. The fact that it goes to sleep randomly means the connection on the underside of the motherboard is shorting out... not a good sign.

2.) People sell these things used on my local craigslist all the time for $400-600. You'd be much better off saving your cash and buying a working one.

It wasn't worth that before the coffee imo. Save your money, and get what you really want. :cool:;)

I have to agree and say that it's got some severe problems. I've seen mint ones sell for only about twice the price (Yes, really) and it will take well over $200 just trying to repair one thing. If you want to treat it as a $200 Desktop, as someone said, it wouldn't be too bad, but the chances of making it into a laptop again or pretty slim. At the very minimum, it needs a logic board, and probably a battery. Who knows what else got shorted out when the coffee got spilled on it.

As a side note, everyone who uses a laptop, take note: DON'T DRINK ANYTHING BY YOUR LAPTOP!

Back