Is this guy computer illiterate?

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
I saw this on a review for Windows XP with SP2. Is this guy dumb, computer illiterate, or just plain ignorant?

Pros: Large library of commercial software availible, drivers availible for most PC hardware. Extremely easy to use.

Cons: Installer slow & not user-friendly, no graphical installer, partitioning tool difficult to use and not especially powerful. No boot loader included for configuring a dual-boot system.

Little bundled software or drivers, bundled browser and email client insecure and lacking in features, bundled chat client restricted to one chat service.

Availible third-party software often expensive.

Ease of use leads to security flaws; default is running as passwordless administrator account, even non-administrator accounts have relatively generous permissions.

Slow, inefficient of system resources.

Greatly afflicted by malware; it is estimated over 60,000 virii or similar malicious programs exist for product. Security software availible from third parties, relatively expensive.

No command line console or shell, users restricted to GUI. Proficient user of this product may not have skills to work proficiently on similar operating systems.

Other Thoughts: While this operating system could be useful to gamers as a secondary operating system (as compatibility for games is extensive), I CANNOT recommend this product to anyone who uses a computer, seriously or casually, who cares about the security, efficiency, or cost-effectiveness of their system

I have solutions to all of his cons here...how bout you?

I don't see what's wrong with anything he said. Yes, there are ways to get around some of the flaws in XP, but based on the defaults and what the average user would do, he's almost absolutely correct. If looking through the eyes of an average user makes someone "computer illiterate", then yes, I suppose the reviewer is computer illiterate.

I understand what you are saying, but they aren't flaws really. You can't expect Microsoft to build the perfect OS because of the constantly expanding field of hardware and software.

Also, each and every one of his comments is easily solved so its not like there is a big deal for someone who knows anything at all about computers.

he seems to be extremely bias towards linux, espically how he mentions how third-party software is "expensive"

DeadlyAura said:
Also, each and every one of his comments is easily solved so its not like there is a big deal for someone who knows anything at all about computers.
They're all easily solved? Let's say I'm the average computer user... I need to open a Word file... Do I go to Best Buy and say "I need Microsoft Office" or do I figure out that I can get something like OpenOffice? Or the virus protection... Do I go to Best Buy and ask for anti-virus or do I spend time looking online for a decent, free solution? "Windows is inefficient with memory": Does the average user know to turn off unnecessary services? You get the idea.

sap said:
They're all easily solved? Let's say I'm the average computer user... I need to open a Word file... Do I go to Best Buy and say "I need Microsoft Office" or do I figure out that I can get something like OpenOffice? Or the virus protection... Do I go to Best Buy and ask for anti-virus or do I spend time looking online for a decent, free solution? "Windows is inefficient with memory": Does the average user know to turn off unnecessary services? You get the idea.

Ok, you got me there. I must admit you are right with those points and it makes his post a bit more clear. However, do you really expect a huge company that markets thousands of products built to suit everyones individual need, to create a flawless OS? I understand your points but I still still love the OS because of its versatility and compatibility with so many things even though it isnt perfect.

In his defence, I'm fairly sure it is a parody of the way linux distros are often reviewed by windows people. (It's not more wrong than most of them, either.)

no command line console eh? Doesn cmd count as a command line console? I've seen some pretty powerful things done with the cmd line in windows. As to the lack of integrated software...MS was sued because they bundled Media Player and IE. Can you imagine if they put an AV app in there and an office suite??

HHunt said:
In his defence, I'm fairly sure it is a parody of the way linux distros are often reviewed by windows people. (It's not more wrong than most of them, either.)

Yeah i think it is too, i remember seeing a few of those linked on /.

Cons: Installer slow & not user-friendly, no graphical installer, partitioning tool difficult to use and not especially powerful. No boot loader included for configuring a dual-boot system.

Huh? Last I checked the installer was all menu/gui driven. Partitioning tool is simplistic and does its job, very easy to use. Yes, it isn't very powerful, but fdisk is not for the faint of heart. You don't need to configure dual boot if you are using another version of windows, it will do it for you.

Little bundled software or drivers, bundled browser and email client insecure and lacking in features, bundled chat client restricted to one chat service.
Can't diagree with the software comment, but the drivers I have to disagree. At release it supported most configurations out of the box with no third party drivers. The only disadvantage is that the driver base is stagnant.[/QUOTE]

Availible third-party software often expensive.
How is this different from any other OS? There are free as well as pay programs for *nix and Windows.

Ease of use leads to security flaws; default is running as passwordless administrator account, even non-administrator accounts have relatively generous permissions.
Good Point

Slow, inefficient of system resources.

Too bad the reviewer doesn't expand on this. I guess he's never used KDE.

Greatly afflicted by malware; it is estimated over 60,000 virii or similar malicious programs exist for product. Security software availible from third parties, relatively expensive.

Depends on you source, AVG is free, Adaware Personal is free for the baseline.

No command line console or shell, users restricted to GUI. Proficient user of this product may not have skills to work proficiently on similar operating systems.

Huh? Last I checked, cmd.exe is plenty powerful for basic operations.

Other Thoughts: While this operating system could be useful to gamers as a secondary operating system (as compatibility for games is extensive), I CANNOT recommend this product to anyone who uses a computer, seriously or casually, who cares about the security, efficiency, or cost-effectiveness of their system

Can't argue with that point, then again, file permissions for a normal user would be a nightmare.

Heh, and I run Linux on two of my three computers.

DeadlyAura said:
Is this guy computer illiterate?
No, just inarticulate and unpersuasive.

Dew said:
Yes, it isn't very powerful, but fdisk is not for the faint of heart.
FDISK isn't the Windows disk partitioning tool. DISKPART.EXE and DISKMSGMT.MSC are.

I wouldn't call him computer illiterate, perhaps a just nix fanatic.. Coloring the truth is a common tool of those types from both side..

mikeblas said:

FDISK isn't the Windows disk partitioning tool. DISKPART.EXE and DISKMSGMT.MSC are.

The fdisk I was refering to was the one I use in linux.

HHunt said:

Definitely a parody, guys. This has been out for awhile.

I wasn't sure of its status of being a parody, but I agree that it is a pretty good reflection of many *nix reviews done by Windows guys. Some of those "cons" listed are so obviously incorrect (Windows has a boot loader and a CLI console) that they would have to be parodying the ignorance some display when "reviewing" a distro of *nix.

To be honest, I expect something more similar to a real version of this when Vista's many different versions are released. I can totally see gamer sites doing comparisons of the different releases as if they weren't different flavors of the same thing, just like so many do with different distros of Linux.

mikeblas said:

FDISK was the partitioning utility for Windows 95 and 98...probably Millenium too (gah, ME was BAD)....you are too young to know that? :p

TheRapture said:
FDISK was the partitioning utility for Windows 95 and 98...probably Millenium too (gah, ME was BAD)....you are too young to know that? :p
I'm old enough to assume that "Windows" means the current version of Windows.

Your jab about "too young to know that" is absurd: you obvioulsy don't know who you're talking to.

mikeblas said:
I'm old enough to assume that "Windows" means the current version of Windows.

Your jab about "too young to know that" is absurd: you obvioulsy don't know who you're talking to.

Hence the SMILEY FACE in my post....you need to step back and cool off, it was in jest. Get over yourself
:p

SEE THE SMILEY???? :p :p :p

P.S.-you ain't nobody special, get your ego in check, this is a computer forum not the White House or Royal Court.

sap said:

Being the "Average computer User", the computer would've been bought from an OEM like Dell which would've asked the end-user if he/she wanted a word processing program along with anti-virus program during the custom configuration.

Granted the person ordered through the phone, he/she will still be prompted to install a word processing program and such. Then ofcourse, what if the end-user builds his/her own computer? Well if that is the case, I'm pretty sure they know about Microsoft Office and Norton Anti-virus :rolleyes: .

Not to mention that OEMs include more sh*ts that do harm to the O/S than good.

Case in point, the reviewer was contradicting himself and was extremely bias towards linux and he does not see it in the eyes of "the average user". An average user wouldn't understand shell/command line, wouldn't understand the difference between Firefox and IE, and certainly don't really care about system resources. As long as the OS is user-friendly and self-explanatory, the end-user will be happy. In that case, Microsoft wins and their OS is the BEST for the "average user" out there.

P.S. oops, so it was a parody :p

GreNME said:
I wasn't sure of its status of being a parody

a good parody is both deadly serious and humorous at the same time
that of course entails the participation of the viewer and their interpretation of humor
and further a familiarity with the subject being parodied.

I think there is little doubt to the author's intent.
but it was a small audience that would get it as a "parody" :p

Its a Linux insiders joke.
One that in the context of this thread Im sure the author would be even more amused with :p
Because its serving its other purpose,
to question and explore the soundness of the parodied arguments among those that aren't insiders.

TheRapture said:
Hence the SMILEY FACE in my post....you need to step back and cool off, it was in jest. Get over yourself
:p

SEE THE SMILEY???? :p :p :p

P.S.-you ain't nobody special, get your ego in check, this is a computer forum not the White House or Royal Court.

Thanks for your advice. Let me provide some in return: you might be surprised to learn that even a smiley can be ambiguous, and that it doesn't immediately excuse transgressions or explain away ambiguity.

Ice Czar said:
a good parody is both deadly serious and humorous at the same time
that of course entails the participation of the viewer and their interpretation of humor
and further a familiarity with the subject being parodied.

I think there is little doubt to the author's intent.
but it was a small audience that would get it as a "parody" :p

Its a Linux insiders joke.
One that in the context of this thread Im sure the author would be even more amused with :p
Because its serving its other purpose,
to question and explore the soundness of the parodied arguments among those that aren't insiders.
If it really was created with that much forethought in purpose, then I would agree that it was a resounding success and a good study on the nature of "platform complacency."

However, I doubt that much thought was put into it. Instead, it seems more likely a mildly funny crack on the many Window-user reviews of not-Windows software. Also successful.

how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?

the world may never know :p

TheRapture said:

OH GOD NO! not ME, my eyes oh god just the mention of it. lol

anyways from what I see I don't see anything majorly wrong with what the op was commenting on.

buuut:

If any other OS was used as widely as windows in the US then it would proably have just as many companies devoted to making adware, spyware, and more. Not to mention alot of people are I guess now spoiled with windows having a bunch of bundled stuff, and don't realize MS paint and more are bundled software.. even if they are bleh...

This guy just doesn't want support for Microsoft in anyway, and alternative OS's to gain popularity. The only reason why there is so many viruses for Windows is because its the #1 os used. If you were to replace it with linux, then there would be a barrage of viruses for it. No OS is perfectly secure like this guy wants and seems to think exsists.

Its people like this that make me wanna hunt em down and smack them upside the head.

I don't think he's computer illiterate, I think he's just cynical.

Ice Czar said:
how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?

the world may never know :p
If you remember that commercial, you should have signed up for Geriatric Volleyball last week!

ba dum bum *crash*

Back