Is this ghosting? pic

isp

2[H]4U
sixtynine-ghosting.jpg

I just got this monitor (NEC-Mitsubishi 2111SB). It didn't come with a vga cable (it uses male to male btw).

So I went to Officemax and picked up a cheap belkin one. It doesn't have any ferrites, and is list on Amazon with horrible ratings:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...79984-2112108?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I called NEC-Mitsu and they're sending me a replacement cable 2 day air. The pictures and stuff just looks really crappy right now, I have to run 1024x768 @ 85hz just get a decent picture. They recommend 1600x1200 @ 85 but it looks like garbage so much ghosting. Text has like greyish shadows behind it and everything even as I type this at 1600x1200. :(

Anyone have any experiences like this? I hope it's just a shoddy cable.

I'm thinking about ordering one anyway incase the one they send me isn't any better. Do you guys have any recommendations? Thanks...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup, that's caused by poor quality cables (most of the time, sometimes it's a monitor but since yours is new it shouldn't look like this unless it's defective). You want a nice thick cable with ferrites on both ends, the thicker the better and the shorter the better.

hopefully a nice cable will fix an otherwise perfect monitor imo...

I'd hate to have to pack this beast up and send it back to be looked at, replaced etc...

On my old CRT I had the same problem using Belkin VGA Extension cables, exactly the same thing.

It's the cable. I have the EXACT same thing on one of my monitors using a cheap video cable through a KVM switch.

A good video cable is worth spending a bit on, it can make or break a monitor.

I would figure the monitor would come with a better cable than that but hey, if youre going to get a better one, make it as good as you can find.

My 2141 came with an excellent cable thank god.

The Titan said:
I would figure the monitor would come with a better cable than that but hey, if youre going to get a better one, make it as good as you can find.

I got this monitor off eBay for $350 :D

It didn't come with a cable, but everything else appears to be brand new.

For anyone who wanted to know what happened...

The cable came today and the ghosting is gone. Overall clearity and images have improved too I think. I'm very happy right now. :D

The cable I am using now is about 3 TIMES as thick as that cheap belkin one.

Edited for stupidity. Anyone here no of a good place to get GOOD monitor cables? I'm using the stock one for my P95f, wonder if replacing it would make 1600x1200 bearable for text.

The Titan said:

Thats funny, I thought the cable that came with the 2141 was a pos. Sure it worked but it sure wasn't very thick and I believe it only had one ferrite (don't have it anymore). The cables I use now (2 pcs hooked up) are 2x as thick plus have dual ferrites. They were only like $10-15 at altex electronics.

I wish i could replace the cable on my 19" NEC FE990

It comes right out of the monitor :(

I have a new(ish, it was used twice) 25' VGA cable for sale in the FS/FT forums. It's about a 1/2" thick or more. None of that ghosting issues...

Damnit, I have the exact same problem and it recently developed on my LG Flatron ez T170BH but the cable is built-in!

It was fine for the first two weeks but this problem suddenly appeared. I've tried jiggling the cable to no effect. What can I do? I bought it from across the country so a return/exchange isn't likely. Will LG do anything for me?

I can't run at anything other than 60hz or the ghosting will appear and thusly, my eyes are getting screwed and my brain is getting disoriented as I type.

Wish I could just slide a ferrite onto it. I've got a few sitting around. But then again, is this really a cable issue for me? My ghosting looks like his but it happens when I run refresh rates higher than 60hz and it is only a recent problem. Why would this suddenly occur? The monitor is less than a month purchased new.

Back