Is this feasible?

natermeister

Limp Gawd
I want to turn my DVD collection (~300 discs) into ISO files that can be played off a hard drive, just as if you had the disc in the optical drive. I did this years ago with game discs so that I wouldn't have to insert the CD/DVD every time I wanted to play...but is it doable with DVDs? Obviously I'm going to have to have a lot of hard disc capacity, but that isn't a problem these days.

I've already purchased AnyDVD HD and I'm probably going to get Alcohal120% as well. Anyone have any advice on doing this?

Thanks,

-Nater

Very much possible. I have a 16TB raid setup with vista and all my movies go into the file server. It sits in the basement and stream it over the gig backbone.

Yeah, each movie is typically 4.7-8GB of space. So potentially you're looking at using anywhere from 1.5TB to 2.4TB of space. If they are in a RAID setup then you could do a 3TB -4TB setup and be ok. I contemplated this for a long time but ruled it out just because at the time, 1TB hard drives were still a thing of the future and would be expensive on release.

Totally possible. It's what I do. I don't use ISO's though I just rip to a Video_TS folder structure which AnyDVD can do.

Saves a step for certain frontends like SageTV which is what I use. I don't have to mount or open the ISO first.

Screw RAID, look into Windows Home Server. Makes for a very simple setup and have many additional features such as computer backups.

except with WHS you need to have 2x the capacity..... which blows, expecially for the size of storage the OP wants.

i would get an inexpensive RAID card like the Dell perc/5 or a highpoint card.... and run RAID 5.

also the video_TS is a better idea than an ISO, much cleaner implimentation.... no mounting software..

except with WHS you need to have 2x the capacity..... which blows, expecially for the size of storage the OP wants.
No idea what you mean, all you need to do is turn off folder duplication.

also the video_TS is a better idea than an ISO, much cleaner implimentation.... no mounting software..
Yes. Do this. I also like to turn around and run the TS folder through DVD Shrink and rip everything out other then the movie. If I want extras and all that I can get up and put the disc in, I just want to be able to watch the movie easily.

Back