• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this enough backlight bleeding to RMA?

Is this enough backlight bleeding to RMA?

  • Yes, RMA it.

    Votes: 26 96.3%
  • No

    Votes: 1 3.7%

  • Total voters
    27

Darknyt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
400
Just got a new 2005fpw with ZERO dead pixels, but does have some backlight bleeding. I've been keeping up on the backlight posts and saw some pics of others problems before I bought. I don't think it's THAT bad, though I get the impression there is room for improvement. I've done a little of the massaging suggested and it didn't seem to aleviate it any. Though I probably don't know what the hell I'm doing.

I guess I probably won't really notice this much under normal use as I don't watch movies normally on this, mainly gaming and internet. More likely just knowing it is there will bug me a little.
Even though I know this is pretty subjective, do you think this much backlight bleeding calls for an RMA? (taken with black screen provided by pixel buddy)

Obviously I'm concerned I may get a worse panel, or one with dead pixels, etc.

1.jpg
 
if it dosent bother you, then keep it. For me, that is WAY to much bleeding. I paid for a monitor, not a freaking 100,000 watt halogen lamp. i would have RMA'd that the day I got it, but to each his own. I just got a 2405fpw with perfect backlight, no dead pixels, etc. So they are out there...
 
joecrouton said:
if it dosent bother you, then keep it. For me, that is WAY to much bleeding. I paid for a monitor, not a freaking 100,000 watt halogen lamp. i would have RMA'd that the day I got it, but to each his own. I just got a 2405fpw with perfect backlight, no dead pixels, etc. So they are out there...

This is a 2005, not a 2405. From what I've read, they mostly fixed the backlight issue with the 2405, so you can expect little to no backlight bleeding.

Unfortunately, the 2005 appears to be an entirely different ballgame.

I'm leaning towards RMA - here's a question for those that know.

If I RMA it, doesn't Dell ship me the new monitor right away - so I could actually have them both on my desk side by side to choose from.

If that's the case, then do you always have the choice of keeping the one you like best or do you have to send in the one you had.

Can someone who has done this several times trying to get a good one chime in here on how it works?

Thanks!
 
I was looking for the answers to similar questions and didn't get a lot of replies. One thing I do know is that when they ship out a new one to you the 21 day clock will NOT start over again. In my opinion you should RMA for a complete refund. Then buy it again and you will get a new 21 days. After that 21 day window expires they won't replace it anymore with a new unit. After 21 days you're strictly into the warranty period and any replacements will be refurbished.
 
cold solder said:
I was looking for the answers to similar questions and didn't get a lot of replies. One thing I do know is that when they ship out a new one to you the 21 day clock will NOT start over again. In my opinion you should RMA for a complete refund. Then buy it again and you will get a new 21 days. After that 21 day window expires they won't replace it anymore with a new unit. After 21 days you're strictly into the warranty period and any replacements will be refurbished.

Nice idea, but since I got it for under $400, I don't know about buying it again . . .
 
Is it only bad on blank screens? Or is it visible when viewing with black color?
 
It looks really bad. I'm disappointed they haven't fixed the backlight problem.

I would return it at least once to try for a better one.
 
Yeah, that looks pretty bad. I would imagine since you are on the fence if you get a worse one, insist on keeping the original? Give it at least one try. I got a better 2405FPW by returning mine once. It's not like you are in a tiny group.
 
the image shows too much backlit, but I am not sure that this is how you see it, or is it? afaik, camaras try to capture as much light as possible when taking shots with very few light.

(I am not sure that I expressed myself clear enough, but I count on your brain ;) )
 
UPDATE: Forgot to mention this has an October build date - so much for fixing this. Well, I called tonight to RMA it and got some chick in India. I swear I must have had to describe the issue to her 20 different ways. She was dumber than dirt. Or just playing it. After 20 minutes total of waiting and then talking to her, she tried to get me to call the sales department and talk to them about what it might be, and then call them back.

Well that dog sure as hell didn't hunt and I asked her why the hell should I waste time calling the sales department to have them tell me something I already know (and they should too) when she is the one that is finally going to order me the new monitor?

She immediately went into the process of ordering me another monitor - should be here by Wed. Hell the first one took less than 24 hours - I just hope I don't get a worse panel.

Also - how does the RMA work? I guess I have to pay my own shipping -but if the new one is bad and I want another, will they send me a third before they get my original back?


dsc220 said:
Is it only bad on blank screens? Or is it visible when viewing with black color?

I guess you're asking if I can see it when I have some other colors on the screen? Not really - for example, the HardOCP page here is mostly black with some red bars and yellow text. I can't see any backlight bleeding on this mostly black webpage.

But when I use pixel buddy and the black screen I can. Oh - I can also see it when a map is downloading in UT2004 for instance. Or when the FEAR beginning title credits are starting.

I tried it in Doom 3 and I couldn't really tell if I didn't know it was there.
 
Back
Top