Hey guys,

I have a quick question.
My current rig is the following:
Intel P4 2.4C Northwood
ABIT IC7 Motherboard
1GB DDR 400
PNY 6800 GTOC AGP
120GB Sata

I am planning to go this route because of that Fry's bundle deal for $80 dollars.
Intel 805 D
ECS P4M800Pro-M
1GB Corsair DDR2 5300
PNY 6800 GTOC AGP
120GB Sata

Basically replacing the motherboard, CPU, and Ram. Is this considered an upgrade?

Thanks.

Ideally you would have a motherboard that supports Core 2 Duo processors (and PCI-E) for future expansion, but that's not a bad deal.

While that board does support Core2Duo CPUs, it only has AGP. What are you doing with your current system that you feel its too slow? What's your budget?

The only thing you gain from that "upgrade" is a dual core CPU, which only helps when multi-tasking. Its more of a latteral move than an "upgrade," though, because Pentium Ds are rather lousy CPUs, lol. The 805 is best used for overclocking, but since Core2Duos are out, you're best option is to wait for the price drop:

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5414

If you do go with that combo from fry's, dont bother buying new ram, just use your old sticks. If you do want to buy new ram, go for some DDR2-800, so when you upgrade to a conroe and buy a new board, you can move the ram over and OC like crazy (since core2duo's are crazy overclockers).

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2903

Very interesting and helpful replies, especially from enginurd.

What I need is basically 2 systems in the end. My HTPC just died and was going for an upgrade so that I can use my main 2.4C as my 2nd rig. I have an extra 9800Pro AGP that I am going to toss with the 2.4C setup.

My budget is basically something that is not overpriced and is considered a good deal. The only game I play is WoW, and we all know that it is not graphically intense.

I was thinking of just waiting it out for the price drop like you mentioned and either get the e4300 or the e6300 with the S3 motherboard and some DDR2 5300.

See thing is, the $80 D805 bundle deal with the crappy ECS board, that one comes as an OEM CPU. Which basically forces me to purchase a HSF. So might as well get a nice 9500 Zalman for about $60, which brings the price up to $140. If I was to purchase an e4300 when the price drops, it is $113 with a HSF. I won't be overclocking right off the bat, so it should work out just well. Add a $90 dollars motherboard, it is about $210 versus $140.

The question is now, for $70 dollars, is it worth going from D805/ECS motherboard to a e4300/Gigabyte motherboard?

The processor would be an upgrade, but people say the ECS motherboards are garbage, which can explain why they are the ones Fry's always gives away for free :D .

Back