• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is this coil whine?

Kalnos

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
13
I installed a new PSU / SSD yesterday, and ever since the first boot this PSU has had a high-pitched whine that sounds like what you would expect a dog whistle to sound like. It's constant from power-on to power-off, and is hard to notice if you aren't listening for it. Once you hear it though, it's a sound you just can't stop hearing. When you power off the computer the sound persists (I waited 10 minutes) until you remove the power cord or flip off the PSU switch.

Should I just RMA this thing, or does this sound ever go away? PSU in question is XFX 750 black.
 
Yes, it's coil whine. It usually doesn't ever go away. If it's a real problem for you, you can RMA it.
 
Or if it's not under warranty, and this is a gamble, you can try clear nail polish on the coils, or hot glue, or electrician's putty. I just lost my psu, and before it died it whined, and the nail polish helped it for about a day, and then the whine came back. It's not recommended though, it'd be easier to just RMA it...
 
Back
Top