Is this case overdoing it?

o3jox

n00b
Hello, I'm new I just registered like 2 minutes of though. So please ignore my ignorance if it prevails.

Anyway I wanted your opinions on this case is it ugly? Am I over doing it? The reason I like this case because it has alot of fan options, has a window, actually has sort of theme to it, and it comes with a 420 PSU. Im on a semi budget but any other case offers would be appreciated. :)

http://www.moddershq.net/reviews.asp?reviewid=20&pagenumber=1#Scene_1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-140&depa=1

Im going for the black/yellow one it matches my room I just painted.

I never liked the cases that have more colored plastic and they do functionality. Also the 420 watt PS that comes with the case in question, is most likely not a quality part. I personally would choose a antec or lian-li case with a PCP&C or Fortron power supply added in. You get what you pay for with case and power supplies.

Personally I find that case ugly. But its not my decision. If you like the case and if thats the one you want, then by all means buy it. Dont let my opinion stop you.

CBR said:
Personally I find that case ugly. But its not my decision. If you like the case and if thats the one you want, then by all means buy it. Dont let my opinion stop you.
Ditto

I like the window on it, however I dont like the red bits on the front panel. But then in my opinion I like very simple front's. As said before if you like it that that is what matters.

As to if I think it is to much then no not really. What I think is too much is when people have an acrylic case with no cable management and each fan has either multicoloured LED's or all the fans have differnt coloured LED's. They then usually have a water effect cathode in pink or some unsightly colour. <-- I find these both disgusting and way, way too much. I wouldnt do my case up like that but if the individual like it I would have to respect their opinion. However in my opinion - Yuck (cue the surprised smiley but it wouldnt let me put it in and I dont know the code)

EDIT: Subsitute red for yellow and orange I was thinking about the red one at the time.

I personally don't like it, but like was said before...whatever floats your boat. Cases like that don't really leave room for a lot of mod potential I think. if you have a plain case then you can do whatever you want. Then again, if you don't want to mod it at all, you may be in the wrong place :) but we're always happy to help anyway (well, I am, I don't know about any of these other jokers :D ). I don't think it would be overdoing it...overdoing it would be getting a 3' tall case with 15 drive bays and putting a p2/400 in there with 1 hard drive and 1 cdrom and 25 fans....THAT would be overdoing it

CBR said:

indeed

If I were building a system for myself, I would look elsewhere. However, building computers professionally, whenever I show someone a pic of that case (the black and gold one in particular) they stop for a second and oogle over it, sometimes even picking it over a less expensive case.

CrimandEvil said:
Personally I like the SLK3700-BQE, makes a great starter case and modding possibilities.

I agree whole-heartedly. I've used this case on a few builds and it is nothing but quality. It's even pretty quiet, too. The interior is very roomy and there are lots of places to tuck and route cables. There is a lot of modding potential with this case, as well, if that's your bag.

But, if you do like the Cobra case, then get it. Just be warned that the uber-mod geek type people you run into at lans will probably laugh at you or at least snicker behind your back. But not as much as if you were to buy one of those horrid thermaltake xazer cases. ;)

another possibility is to get a cheiftec dragon knockoff. they're great cases, fairly cheap now, and come with or without a power supply allowing you to get whatever you want. even if you dont get a separate ps, the one that generally comes with isnt too shabby.

Used this case (the raidmax cobra in black/yellow) for a custom build for something. Not a bad looking case. Throw the power supply out, and you've got a good start for a nice system. Cooling isn't great, but... That can be fixed.

Remember, with PSU's, wattage means NOTHING as long as it's 300 watts or above (and even that's giving it quite a bit of headroom). Brand name is what you care about. A 300 watt Fortron PSU will kill any 600 watt generic one. Period. Stick with brand name, such as Fortron/Source, Antec, Enermax, Vantec and, in some cases, Thermaltake. If unsure, post here and ask if it's good.

Getting a good PSU is the number 1 priority when building a computer. If the PSU goes, it can take out ANYTHING it's connected to, which is usually hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in hardware.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the case in black and yellow looks nice. The other color is just plain ugly, IMHO.

But as far as the case goes, get what YOU want. A case is purly your own taste, and just because someone says a case is ugly or something doesn't mean you shouldn't get it if you want it. Just get what you like the looks of :)

Ok Im going to look on newegg a bit more, thanks again.
I have one more question I was recently talking to a friend and he said that Aluminum cases were the best because they're really light and what not. I live in Florida and theres not alot of LANs or anything of that type. But is aluminum better for reducing heat. What types of other materials out there?

youve asked for my opinion so keep that in mind

i think its horriffic and if i saw anyone at a LAN with that case, i would automatically think they had the mentality of a hyperactive 11 year old. a colorblind tasteless hyperactive 11 year old.

kronchev said:
youve asked for my opinion so keep that in mind

i think its horriffic and if i saw anyone at a LAN with that case, i would automatically think they had the mentality of a hyperactive 11 year old. a colorblind tasteless hyperactive 11 year old.

Opinion seconded. Looks like crap.

Trust me just find a nice basic looking case. Perhaps a CoolMaster if the Lian-Li is too pricey. Anything but that case. That thing just screams.... Noobie or Frag-bait.

I also think the X-Alien isn't a very nice looking case. However, I've also built computers for people before using that case, and I have to admit, the case isn't terrible quality. So if you like the looks of it, don't let the fact that no one else on the face of the planet would ever buy something like that stop you! ;) :p

If Lian-Li is too high for you, you might look into something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-012&depa=1

Kingwin makes aluminum knock-offs of them at quite a bit cheaper prices, probably not AS high quality as an actual Lian-Li, but still high quality. They also carry both silver and black, windowed and non-windowed versions of it. However, I think the windowed silver one looks terrible

The third case, the Aspire, was a step in the right direction, at least as my taste is concerned. Since you are buying it, get what looks appealing to YOU.

I think the first two are hideous...
I am more into the Maclike Lian Li, the classy Coolermasters, Silverstones, and the Wavemaster ripoff by Thermaltake. Elegant aluminum with blue LEDs :p .

If cost is a concern, I would go with a Chieftec "Dragon" knockoff like someone above posted. They are pretty nice cases. Get it from www.directron.com and you will be able to order it anyway you like. Window, no window, with PSU, without PSU, etc... But make sure and get a case that YOU like.

I seriously don't get what makes a case a "gaming case"...is it all the gay shit they put on it? :confused:

CBR said:
never liked any one them plastic cookie cutter cases like this and the diabolic case.

Personally I don't like the look of it, as it's a bit too flashy for my liking, but it looks like it's good quality to me. Myself, I'd plump for a coolermaster wavemaster, or a ttake tsunami, but they're a bit on the expensive side, so if you don't mind the flashiness then I'd say go for it

My opinion, like most people here is that that case is absolute crap and in orange and black, would be even more grotesque. Sorry if I was a bit frank there, but cases like these are my pet peeve.

Back