Is this a scam or just a good deal?

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I was browsing Ebay and there are multiple auctions for Windows 7 Ultimate keys. Here's one I was looking at. Click. Is this some sort of scam? If it is, why is Ebay allowing it?

If it's not a scam, has anyone bought a key this way?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
wandalovely18b? Hmm. Caveat emptor. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

You can't tell with Ebay because anyone can sell there, whether the person's legitimate or a scam artist.

I'm just trying to figure out where these keys are coming from. I bought some Kaspersky keys in a similar type of auction and they are legit and have been working for nearly a year. Got 3 of them for $14.99 which seemed to good to be true, but was actually a good deal.

If I can verify this is legal I'm gonna bite.

I would only buy keys from reputable retailers, like Newegg, etc. I'd be surprised if some schmuck on eBay was selling legitimate keys. Software isn't so risky. The operating system is huge business.

I was under the impression that Microsoft Operating System licenses cannot be legally transferred. There is a liquidation house (www.discount-licensing.com) that sells off excess corporate Office licenses but discussion of the company indicates that OS licenses cannot be resold, so they don't go there (heaven knows they would if they could). So pretty much any copy of "Microsoft Windows" you find on eBay is in violation of the EULA...

I don't think it is a good deal,because I can not verify if these keys is legal.

This is from the Windows 7 Microsoft End User License Agreement:

18. Transfer to a Third Party.
a. Software other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may make a one time transfer of the software and this agreement, by transferring the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to a third party. The first user must remove the software before transferring it separately from the computer. The first user may not retain any copies of the software.

So, there is nothing wrong with selling, and buying, a key as long as the conditions are met. But, those conditions are very strict.

The problem is that you do not know the seller in this case. If he sells the same key to you and someone else, you will have no way to know in advance and you will have no way to prove it. You will have no way to know if he himself is using the same key on a machine.
You have no way to know if he has made a copy of the key and may sell it in the future to someone else.
Is he going to give you his proof of purchase?

For those reasons, I wouldn't buy this.

Edit:
That was a rhetorical question!
Since it is not October 22 yet, he has either got the key through technet, or attending a launch event or being a party host ...
In either case, he does not have a proof of purchase since he has not purchased it; he has got it for free.

Last edited:
I wouldnt ever buy keys from Ebay unless accompanied by the original sealed product.
Even then I wouldnt buy that from Ebay heh :)

Once serial number generators are in the wild, you can do the same thing as the Ebay scammers and generate your own serials.
None of them are legal, even if you pay.
Microsoft can work out if the falsely keys generated fall within certain bounds and if so can disable them.
They may use a database of keys "they" have generated and if your key isnt on it, they can disable it.

Dont mess with keys.

10:1 says it just somebody with a technet sub that is trying to make some money on the side buy selling off they're unused keys.

That's what I was going to say too. Probably selling off Technet or other NFR keys. You really don't want to buy a key off ebay.

Better off subscribing to technet and getting all the keys you need for your home in one legal swoop. Especially good for a house full of people....like me.

The keys being sold on ebay will be either Technet (or similar) keys or Launch party Signature Edition keys. Both are 'retail' keys, and both are 'Not for resale'. It's a waste of time and effort spouting quotes from the EULA. When additional conditions/restrictions are imposed those over-ride the EULA.

If you purchase one of those keys it'll 'work'. It'll be accepted to install, and activation/validation will work fine. As an 'end user' the only circumstance in which you'd encounter practical problems would be if you encountered a situation whereby you'd have to provide 'proof of ownership'. You wouldn't be able to provide that, because you wouldn't actually own a license.

He has a lot of positive feedback and they are all saying the keys work. So either the guy has found a way to generate Windows activation keys or he's stealing them from somewhere and reselling them. I have all reason to believe they are unused keys but where he got them from is probably shady.

Back