• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

is this a safe universal ac adapter?

smith94672

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
153
I recently purchased a universal ac adapter for a device that requires DC 9V, 850 mA, and negative center pin polarity.

The universal adapter is from Seven Star Corp and is the 1000 mA version. The adapter is not UL listed.

1) In the beginning, I accidentally plugged in the ac adapter using the wrong polarity and tried turning on the device. While doing this, I think I heard a light pop sound somewhere from the speakers on the unit. I got it to work after reversing the polarity. To the best of my knowledge, the unit powers up normally and functions as expected. Still, could there have been some circuit damage that I don't know about because I tried turning on the unit repeatedly using the incorrect polarity?

2) As I said earlier, the adapter is not UL listed. When using my device, I notice an 'electronic' odor from the adapter. The adapter eventually becomes warm to touch but not hot. Do you know this adapter is safe to use in the long run? Should I be concerned about anything?
 
UL listing is pretty meaningless these days IMO. Many new electronic devices have an odor to them. It is typically lubricants and such used during manufacturing and they typically burn off over time. I am assuming your device is fairly new?

Most decent electronic gear has polarity protection built in. If your device is working fine it will probably continue to work fine. And I think you may know this already but I'll mention it only because you did. A 1000ma adapter is perfectly suitable for your 850ma device. Amperage ratings are capability ratings. It's the voltage that needs to match. The amperage only needs to meet or exceed your load.
 
Back
Top